Author Topic: Head-Unit wiring  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Dorrell

• Not said much yet
Head-Unit wiring
« on: 15 February 2004, 10:15 »
I got meself a golf last september and i've been driving around soundless for the last 4 an a bit months. I just got a Panasonic head unit, I think its a drx900 and went to connect it yesterday to find a load of cables and I have no idea what they are.

Can any one help, its a mk2 8v 1987 spec.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doz
2.0 16v engine conversion @ 196bhp

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re:Head-Unit wiring
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2004, 16:17 »
find one with power. use a bulb or volt meter.
find one with earth.
if you want it on permanent live just connect these 2 and bridge your red and yellow wires on the HU
to find out your speakers you can either trace the wires or send something down them and see if sound comes out.

;D cude I know. If I was you I'd run a new cable straight from the battery as this will stop your lights dimming if you have it loud like I do.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline lowgolf

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2004, 20:32 »
I cant afford a capacitor yet so when i crank mine up it looks like im flashing a people  ;D
<br /><br />Yeah!!!

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2004, 11:29 »
you shouldn't need one lowgolf. Try wiring your headunit straight to your battery. The 15 year old loom wasn't built to run a 4x50w headunit. More like the 4x15w baulket one it came with. Also a 90amp alternator only cost me ?10 from the scrapper.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dorrell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2004, 17:47 »
Cheers, I don't mean to sound thick but are you saying that I should connect the live to the earth and then connect those both to the red and yellow?

What cable should I use as a feed from the battery?

Thanks for the help :)

BTW - its a panasonic drx900n (4x60w)

oh and also i tryed to connect the pernament live to the yellow and it sparked like hell!

« Last Edit: 16 February 2004, 17:52 by Dorrell »

Offline Dorrell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2004, 18:02 »
BTW dizzie i live like 20mins from u, t'other side of the clee hill :) (lil place called stottesdon!!

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2004, 20:39 »
Cheers, I don't mean to sound thick but are you saying that I should connect the live to the earth and then connect those both to the red and yellow?

What cable should I use as a feed from the battery?

I would advise against connecting both the permanent live and accessory live to the cable you run from the battery, as your head unit will be permanently energised, and not ignition sensitive. You run the risk of getting out of the car leaving the stereo on, which will result in flat battery! I would always want my headunit to switch off when the key was removed from the ignition, which it won't do with the above set up.

Diz is certainly right that the Mk2 loom is not capable of supporting the current draw of modern head-units, and the best way is to run a cable of decent guage from the battery (fused of course) through to the head unit location.

But I would use this only as your permanent live replacement, and I would connect your accessory wire (or switched supply wire) - from your new head unit - to your existing igntion switched supply.

It is not a problem connecting your head unit in this way, as the headunit actually pulls very little current through the igintion switched live. Much like the remote wire to an implifier, it works as a switch, and only needs to be energised in order to work.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Dorrell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2004, 23:17 »
So earth from car loom goes to earth from head-unit. (black)

Live from car goes to pernament live on head-unit. (red)

Switch-live from car goes to switch on head-unit. (yellow)

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2004, 23:21 »
spot on mate.

Just make sure you have your permanent and switched lives the right way round - if you stereo looses its memories (radio stations, audio settings etc) you have them the wrong way round.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Dorrell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2004, 23:23 »
ok, I think i've done that when i was trying to wire it in last time, thing was that every time i connected the switch live to the yellow, the fuse popped under the dash. Any suggestions?