Author Topic: Now Speaker.....  (Read 3928 times)

Offline perd999

• Here all the time
Now Speaker.....
« on: 08 February 2004, 20:55 »
i want to fit some parcel shelf speakers but i dont know much about speakers...wot wud be teh best make and wot size for and mk3 wud be slick....aswell as this wot sub and amp do u recomend to match with these speakers.....im goin for a full recon of my system ....plez help

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re:Now Speaker.....
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2004, 20:58 »
What head unit you running, or is this to be changed too?

Choice ultimately somes down to conkers mate, what's the budget?

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2004, 21:28 »
a lot of people say 6*9's in the parcel shelf some people say components!! my best advice would be to run a pair of threeway 8" as ive found that 6*9's can somewhat be CRAP! especially if using a sub.
im using a setup as follows
2*8" threeways run by a multichannel amp
and a 12" sub powered by a full range amp
benefits of having this system is that you can run very low frequencies?? through the sub and use the threeways to there full potential i.e run themon or over 80hz's and your system will be playing most bass frequencies and the sub would not drown out the bass from the threeways as there setup to run on different frequencies...just make sure u have some kind of tweeters up front to balance it all out so its not all rear...if u get me!! ::)
your probably looking at 800 quid minus H/U to get the amps and sub for quite a good system...dont go too crap otherwise its money wasted

Offline perd999

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2004, 20:03 »
rite cheers...i think im gonna try the 6x9's shud i run them from the head unit or from the amp? or shud i jus run the sub from teh amp...ts a panasonic headunit .......thanx

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2004, 20:55 »
It all comes down to personal choice mate. I would always aim to have the main focus of sound coming from the front - this would involve buying a replacement set of quality speakers for the front (components preferrably) and amplifying them, rather than the rears.

Add in a sub to handle everything less than 100Hz, and you'll have a great system. If you buy cleverly, you can pick hardware that will give you an upgrade path should you wish to improve your system as time goes on.

I wouldn't suggest running with no rear speakers,  but what I would say is don't go over the top! I'd have custom fit replacements, powered via the headunit, and filtered to maximise efficiency.  ;D

Offline perd999

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2004, 18:55 »
so what do u think of this.....im gonna hav 6x9's on teh shelf running via the head unit...ive got replacement JBL speakers for front and back doors....then gonna run the amp to only the sub....wot do u think oh and i havent had tweeters changed do u think i shoudl get them aswell and if so wot sze are they....?#

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2004, 19:49 »
if u can i would suggest running the 6*9's by an amp just for quality

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2004, 22:28 »
If you only amplify the rears, all your sound focus is going to come from the rear.

When you go to see live music you don't turn your back on the source of the music!!

How many cars that compete in sound quality competitions run amplified speakers at the rear, with non-amplified fronts? None, because it is nothing like a true reproduction of how you listen to music from its source.

Amplified 6x9's are a good start on getting a loud system in the car, but they're not synonomous with quality, because a system heavily biased towards the rear goes against faithful sound reproduction.
« Last Edit: 11 February 2004, 23:26 by S11EPS »

Offline iball

• Not said much yet
  • 1995 Mk3 16v
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2004, 08:05 »
Don't waste your money with running speakers on the parcel shelf and a sub, they will fight for the same air and ultimately sound crap and eventually your parcel shelf speakers will become knackered. It's a complete waste of time running speakers on the parcel shelf mate. Plus you're also moving the sound stage to the rear of the car, as a wise man once said you don't sit at a concert and face the back do you?

You'd be much better off, buying a good quality set of front components, amping them up and then running a sub in the boot. Possibly if you feel the need then put a set of components in the rear speaker housings for a bit of extra fill.

Cheers

Offline perd999

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2004, 20:16 »
cheers guys that is sound advice ...so now im gonna amplify my boor speakers(front and back) doi do tweeters aswell? and amplify the sub .......and should i use the same amp fo rthe door speaker or just link them up to the head unit?and hav the amp jus to teh sub?