Author Topic: Launch for Mk6 GTi is.....or Mk6 stuff here!  (Read 61549 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
Re: Launch for Mk6 GTi is.....
« Reply #100 on: 24 September 2008, 17:43 »
....As far as I can understand it (I'll know more after my session with VWR at Bruntingthorpe on Friday), if the Mk6 LSD system is electronic or uses the ESP, there is a likelihood that the ESP will think for you and not always make the desired choice or as quickly as you want it. Whereas the Quaife system is more reactive to the physical state.

However, I don't know and am guessing at the present time.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #101 on: 24 September 2008, 17:46 »
Sounds like VW is creating a car that follows on BMW's principal of build a car. Then make the car work with computers....  :angry:

How will this limit the modifications though?

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Komenda

• I live here
« Reply #102 on: 24 September 2008, 17:50 »

Just another electric gizmo to further numb the experience of driving a car. How can it be a rewarding driving experience when all you have to do is push and point.

Just another button for me to press before I drive the car.

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #103 on: 24 September 2008, 17:53 »
Sounds like VW is creating a car that follows on BMW's principal of build a car. Then make the car work with computers....  :angry:

How will this limit the modifications though?

....It depends which modifications. Easy for suspension - Just unplug the silly Comfort/Normal/Sport system and change the mechanicals as normal.

I assume one can toggle on/off the even more silly Adaptive Distance Control system. Hopefully you would like the built-in XDS diff - It's interesting that by its inclusion, VW have acknowledged traction issues on even the standard car.

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline Komenda

• I live here
« Reply #104 on: 24 September 2008, 17:56 »

I assume one can toggle on/off the even more silly Adaptive Distance Control system. Hopefully you would like the built-in XDS diff - It's interesting that by its inclusion, VW have acknowledged traction issues on even the standard car.

Exactly, so either set the car up properly or give it a proper mechanical Limited slip diff. All this electro safety stuff drives me nuts :laugh:

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #105 on: 24 September 2008, 17:58 »
I am not saying it is not a good feature. But BMW were the first to create it and now VW have it. It just gives you that feeling that VW is moving away from a drivers car which is exacted what makes the MK5 special. It put the fun back into the GTi.

Surely much like the DSG can only take so much surely this system will only work up until a certain point? According to the articles I read it will stay on all the time unlike ESP which is only used when needed...

Mike

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #106 on: 24 September 2008, 17:58 »
Does this mean the MK5 price will plummet?
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #107 on: 24 September 2008, 18:31 »
Does this mean the MK5 price will plummet?

....I expect so. It means that my 06-build 05-plate Mk5 GTI with 53k miles is probably worth less than £10k - But I'm still loving mine and it's not for sale!

Do you fancy a 'previously owned' Mk5?

Offline john_o

• I live here
« Reply #108 on: 24 September 2008, 18:49 »
The mini equivalent is getting good reviews at to how good it is at 'mimicking' a mechanical LSD
Ultimately though a mech LSD is far better. (but prob more expensive for a car manufacturer to fit?)

The R version should be  :cool:

the wheels I agree are a copout, even though I like the ED30 wheels they are from the VW/Audi generic 'use up these parts' bin! seems they have even more Monzas to get rid off.
I suspect that will soon get changed about 1 yr in  :smug:
Black 3dr Edition 30 manual
DEFi boost gauge | ECS Dogbone | WLineAntiLiftKit

Offline Spaced

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #109 on: 24 September 2008, 19:03 »
I think the styling at the front of the Mk5.5 I mean Mk6 is a dogs dinner compared to the clean "black bib" on the Mk5.

Loyal owner since 2005, done with remapping, I drive a Golf not a Veyron. (hypocrite)