Author Topic: another MFA prob!!!  (Read 8041 times)

Offline jammac

• I live here
another MFA prob!!!
« on: 26 April 2007, 16:27 »
ive got a similar problem to a previous post but i dont think its fuse related. just wanted to know if anyone has had the same problem or might know a solution.

everything on my MFA works except the oil temp reads 160 continuously and the outside temp just shows the time. i thought maybe the outside temp could be a fuse as it doesnt work at all but i havent tried pulling any fuses yet.

i guess the oil temp could be a U/S sensor but i dont know the location of this or how to troubleshoot?

HELP!  :cry:

ITS A TRAP!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: another MFA prob!!!
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2007, 17:15 »
1. replace the oil temp sensor, sounds liek it has shorted to ground.  Check the wiring first, it may have rubbed through somewhere!  Easy check is to simply disconnect the sensor, if the guage reads --- then its a sensor fault.  Its the small one on the oil filter housing with a black/green wire.

2. Might be the outside sensor is fault or has fallen off, it should be clipped to the inside of the wing just behind the front bumper :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline jammac

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2007, 12:45 »
nice one jonny! ill have a gander this afternoon  :smiley:

ITS A TRAP!

Offline jammac

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2007, 13:57 »
cheers jonny, turns out the oil sensor is at fault as i get the  --- when its dissconnected. so ill put up another post to try and get one of those 2nd hand unless you know if i can get one from GSF?

as for the outside temp. could you be abit more specific as im having truble locating the bugger. which side is it supposed to be on???

cheers

ITS A TRAP!

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2007, 14:16 »
You can get em from gsf but they give the wrong reading. ie, they read 60-70 when you should get 90-100.  I had two and they were both the same.  Buy yourself a VAG one, about £12 I think.

Cant help with the OTG, sorry.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2007, 14:21 »
outside temp is behind the passenger wing, clipped into a hole thru it just level with the bumper.   Or at least it should be ;)

Offline GTXcess

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2007, 14:25 »
I also have a drama with the MFA oil temp reading but it shows ---- with the sensor connected.  On the service record when I bought the car a garage said it was a 'printed circuit fault'.  Any ideas as to where I start looking ie Instruments or sensor?

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2007, 14:43 »
OK, first take off the spade conector to the oil temp sender and earth it on the block etc.  If your mfa oil temp now reads 160 instead of --- then its the sender that has died and replace with a vag one.  If not then check the circuit stating with the green and black wire  :smiley:

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2007, 14:49 »
also worth noting that below 50 degrees the oil temp will display ---, so make sure its warmed up then check again ;)

Offline jammac

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2007, 11:17 »
 :angry:GRRRRRRRRRR

i bought a new temp switch (eventually! as its actually called pressure switch and i got given the wrong bit by the nice man at VW)

fitted it easily enough and got some differant readings other than 160 degrees. but it mainly stays at 160 except when at idle just after starting i get --- as the oil is below 50 i guess. and when dipping the clutch at traffic lights i get all kinds of random readings.

changing the switch has done something but nothing that has helped the matter. what now?? do you think the wiring could be shorting out somewhere along its length? any other suggestions???

cheers 

ITS A TRAP!