Author Topic: Have any of you had a go at this strongman training?  (Read 2567 times)

Offline bigstring

• GTI forum regular
Have any of you had a go at this strongman training?
« on: 09 January 2012, 16:14 »
Well been back on the weights for 6 months after a 5 year gap and it's been tough as it comes, need to shift the bloody weight, dropped just over 3 stone but feeling as strong as an ox again, well I was until...

I got invited round to my ex's uncles place at the weekend, he's been lifting weights for 24 years and won may a contest over the years in tight pants!

So he's board to death with lifting stuff so decided to start doing this strong man stuff.

Bby f**k I was so unprepared for what was about to be an onslaught on my poor body, 110kg farmers walks (yes 2 at a time 220kg) and 70ky moving to 90kg dead and lock out 3 times......

Just some photo's of the stupid games!

I can quite happly do 15x 118kg bench press and 24kg curles but this just kills everything I have done...

Just to give you an idea, he was doing 40kg curles no worries and benching 180kg chatting away to me..

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
Re: Have any of you had a go at this strongman training?
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2012, 16:36 »
I think i'll stick to karate  :grin:
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline jamie_pyrite

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2012, 17:27 »
Woah! That's mental. While you may be strong as an ox, does all the weight lifting have a detrimental effect on your body or do you feel fit as a fiddle? Do weight lifters suffer from back problems, etc. later in life?

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2012, 18:09 »
Woah! That's mental. While you may be strong as an ox, does all the weight lifting have a detrimental effect on your body or do you feel fit as a fiddle? Do weight lifters suffer from back problems, etc. later in life?

weight lifters in general are no fitter than most normal people... however I would imagine doing some of the strongman stuff gives you an increased level of fitness.

At the gym i used to go to we had a powerlifter... he looked far from fit, but was a one time world record holder.

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2012, 18:20 »
meh usual weeknight work out for me that  :grin:
nah just kidding, dont even think ide get that off the ground :D

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2012, 18:33 »
IMO no one should be able to lift that much. Well, people like Ronnie Coleman and those kinds of people are crazy. Why on earth would you ever need to lift 400kg? Bloody stupid if you ask me.

Benching more than 100kg is excessive and unnecessary.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2012, 18:37 »
IMO no one should be able to lift that much. Well, people like Ronnie Coleman and those kinds of people are crazy. Why on earth would you ever need to lift 400kg? Bloody stupid if you ask me.

makes liftin a gearbox a bit easy when u can though :smiley:

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2012, 18:42 »

makes liftin a gearbox a bit easy when u can though :smiley:

I have yet to lift a gearbox, when the time comes I'll holla at one of you guys...

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2012, 18:48 »
Gearboxes ain't THAT heavy!

Offline houston

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2012, 18:59 »

they do get obsessive, but i wouldnt say crazy

100kg, wouldnt say thats excessive, 200 maybe.

gearbox, id say prob weighs about 50-60kg?

id love to try that kind of training but i KNOW id injure myself, if i can manage it in a smith machine then i can do it anywhere