Author Topic: (((((VR6 STANDARD - TO - VR6 TRACK ))))))  (Read 25487 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: (((((VR6 STANDARD - TO - VR6 TRACK ))))))
« Reply #10 on: 01 January 2011, 23:25 »
i have a question !!!! if you have two mk3 vr6 golfs both standard but one of them has had weight taken out of it and now weighs exactly half of what the other does, how is the bhp then worked out ? does it then mean in reality the lightened car is now double the bhp of the completly standard vr6 when its driving on the road/track ? and not on the rollers ! if they were both put on the rollers they would both be approx 175bhp  if they were put on the road what and how do you work out the bhp ?

Horse power of an engine never changes.... Doesn't matter what you do to the body, engine power is engine power and that's it... There are two main ways of measuring it, at the wheels and at the engines flywheel, reason for this is that the power at the flywheel is the motors true power, at the wheels is what you put on the road due to power that is lost through the transmission. this is why most people get their power measured at the wheels as this reflects what you truly have at your disposal.

weight does play a major role though, what you are doing is upping your power to weight ratio.  You may have heard this before.... Power to weight is very important.  Having 175bhp sounds great but in a car that weighs well over a tonne, it's not so good.  My car should have around 135bhp which doesn't sound as good as yours, however with my car being so much lighter it will have a far better power to weight ratio over a standard mk3 vr6.  Power to weight is usually quoted per tonne.  For example.  If your car weighed a tonne and had 200bhp, your car has 100 bhp per tonne and that's what's important.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: 01 January 2011, 23:27 by SoundillusioN »

Offline mmaattyyg

• Here all the time
  • i need anger management as i dont take advice well
« Reply #11 on: 01 January 2011, 23:25 »
ok so in reality the bhp of a car is not the most important thing to be worrying about !
and as bellend stated the stripped out car would be more nose heavy for obvious reasons, that being said what can be stripped/cut away to lighten the front end ?
i need anger management as i dont take advise well ......

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #12 on: 01 January 2011, 23:27 »
ok so in reality the bhp of a car is not the most important thing to be worrying about !
and as bellend stated the stripped out car would be more nose heavy for obvious reasons, that being said what can be stripped/cut away to lighten the front end ?

Not a lot, biggest / heavest part is the engine, VR's are nose heavy.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #13 on: 01 January 2011, 23:28 »
 :grin:

Offline mmaattyyg

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 01 January 2011, 23:36 »
soundillusion i understand what you said, but not quite sure how you worked out the bhp per tonne ?

you said

(For example.  If your car weighed a tonne and had 200bhp, your car has 100 bhp per tonne and that's what's important)

would it not be = if my car weighed TWO tonne and had 200bhp, my car has 100bhp per tonne ?

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #15 on: 01 January 2011, 23:38 »

It is important but what counts is how much you have per tonne which is why the yanks always get it wrong.   You're doing the right thing in making your car faster by stripping its unnecessary weight.

I get the impression that you have a few quid to chuck at this car after the talk of supercharging.  Money could be better spend in trying to lower the front end weight.  As said there isn't a great deal you can do but you could ditch the bonnet for carbon or fibreglass to lose some front lard, relocate the battery to the boot to shift some?  Do you intend to keep the car road legal so that you can drive it to the track?

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #16 on: 01 January 2011, 23:40 »
soundillusion i understand what you said, but not quite sure how you worked out the bhp per tonne ?

you said

(For example.  If your car weighed a tonne and had 200bhp, your car has 100 bhp per tonne and that's what's important)

would it not be = if my car weighed TWO tonne and had 200bhp, my car has 100bhp per tonne ?

Doh!  Sorry, typo.  Yes that's what I meant. :grin:

Offline mmaattyyg

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 01 January 2011, 23:50 »
i do have a few quid to throw at it but at the same time i dont want to throw to much at it if i dont have to as it is just a hobby for me ! and after my last thread that i started and got abused i kinda learnt from you guys that there is more to a track car than grunt power or bhp so i think im going to focus on weight brakes and susspension set up and try and get the car ballenced right on the track,and then maybe look at a turbo or super charger at a later date or when the engine snaps !

i would like to keep the car just about road legal as its always easyer to drive it to the track ! but if it makes a major difference then f@CK IT ILL COMPLETLY TRACK  IT AS IM NOT TO FAR FROM THE TRACK ANYWAY.

ps im happy i could help you understand the bhp per tonne lol

Offline mmaattyyg

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 01 January 2011, 23:53 »
o
« Last Edit: 03 January 2011, 12:43 by mmaattyyg »

Offline Peej1981

• I live here
  • Its Whats Under The Hood That Counts........
« Reply #19 on: 02 January 2011, 00:01 »
Hey mate this is what I said to you about concentrating on the set up of the car before you look at big bhp. The cars that have good set UPS set fast time, yes it does help having big bhp but you are not always going to have a long enough straight to use it, glad to see you are now thinking about the actual set up of your car.

Also glad to see some advice now coming in for you mate  :grin: :grin:

Id Rather Push A VW Then Drive A Ford. 

www.bombercountydubs.co.uk