Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 289334 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #2970 on: 01 February 2012, 19:38 »
the bodies are correct at launch, homoligation innit. the exhausts won't be a source of performance this year

wings, yeah they will change, but they get updated every other race anyway

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2971 on: 01 February 2012, 19:47 »
the bodies are correct at launch, homoligation innit. the exhausts won't be a source of performance this year

wings, yeah they will change, but they get updated every other race anyway

Correct, body is the same (mostly anyway, maybe superficial changes). Ferrari though (again these are rumors) have positioned the exhausts high up to power the rear wing. At launch they may well use some dummy exhaust elsewhere. Until the first race weekend, or at least the second pre season test, we won't know exactly who's got what.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #2972 on: 01 February 2012, 20:04 »
honestly khare, the exhausts will do f**k all this year, unless they can make them reduce the drag somehow.

there is no trick engine mapping allowed so they can't influence downforce in the corners

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2973 on: 01 February 2012, 21:15 »
Don't expect this year's cars to be any slower than last year despite new rules that govern the position of the exhaust exits and the engine computer control maps that effectively ban blown diffusers. "Exhaust gases are basically thrust," says Tim Goss, engineering director. "Thrust makes cars go faster." Expect once again for the technology fight to be all about the back of the car.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #2974 on: 01 February 2012, 21:48 »
the exhausts aren't at the back anymore, they come out of the sidepods  like periscopes

he is talking about them making the diffusers more efficient as they are no longer blown by the exhaust. The theme this year is slimline rear ends, similar to what williams did last year with their tiny gearbox.

thinking about it, the exhausts could be used to create downforce but only in full throttle corners, but the cars will have this extra downforce on the straights as well. Is this desirable?

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
  • So long and thanks for all the fish!
« Reply #2975 on: 01 February 2012, 23:47 »
there was an interesting article in motorsport a couple of months back, although its not blown by the exhaust the theory is the same, Mercedes have developed a "blown" Front wing of sorts. weather it made it to the final design of the car or not i don't know! Watched the Mclaren launch live today, ugly in the middle. Looks like a womans stomache after giving birth  :sick:

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2976 on: 02 February 2012, 13:05 »
The exhausts now have to be within a certain section of the bodywork at the rear of the car, they definitely wont be used to gain any performance this year, all cars will be effected in the same way due to the positioning so no one will benefit from any increased downforce.

I hope that Mclaren is a bloody race winner from day 1!

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #2977 on: 03 February 2012, 09:26 »

ugliest nose ever?

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #2978 on: 03 February 2012, 09:31 »

ugliest nose ever?

Without a doubt, what is that ramp just after the nose about?  :sick:

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #2979 on: 03 February 2012, 09:33 »
it reminds me of my first ever go at cad and not knowing how to draw curves  :laugh: