Author Topic: Winow reg clips....  (Read 1232 times)

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Winow reg clips....
« on: 29 October 2004, 11:36 »
....the guy that has inhereted my PD150 is having problems with the drivers side window - its now not lifting properly/un-evenly.

I'm guessing that this is our good friend the plastic window clips breaking....

I've told him he needs to get to the dealers and get the metal set.

What was the outcome on this? Are dealers giving these/fitting these for free now? Its a well known and very well documented faulty amongst most Mk4's, so by rights it should be a FOC dealer fix, but I know that some of you have ended up having to pay.

Any stories of anyone getting them fixed for free?

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: Winow reg clips....
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2004, 12:05 »
They refuse to do it FOC because its "not a safety issue" .. at least that's the line they're taking anyway.
If you stand and argue with the service dept. till you're blue in the face... mention various vw forums and the fact that there was a recall on mk4's in the USA to replace the reg clips.. possibly mention writing to vw HQ too you may get somewhere.
"Somewhere" being a 50% discount on the labour.. so still cheaper just to D.I.Y  :-\
Then again he might be lucky.... ya never know, don't ask.. don't get !

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2004, 13:04 »
Hmmm, I'll have to tell him to give a go.

If it was me, I'd have no probs going inthere and screaming and shouting, but not sure thats his bag.

Mind you, when he sees what its going to cost to replace, he may well discover a new-found fondness of screaming and shouting

Car is only about 3k miles out of warranty too :(

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Spurgey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2004, 10:19 »
 :-\ Got mine booked in at local dealer Tuesday to fix drivers side on a 3 door.  Wondered if 3 door window being heavier caused more of a problem. Gonna try getting stroppy with the service dept, demand mtal replacements and see if I can get a discount.  Any idea of the cost?

Offline maria

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2004, 18:13 »
Make sure that they only sell you the clips!!

My window fell in the door recently and after reading this site I knew there was a problem with this and that the clips could be purchased seperately.

I am in the trade although this is for my car I still wanted discount, I went to VW who told me clips were not available seperately and made me buy the complete kit for ?73.

I e-mailed and complained and got a refund for the difference

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2004, 15:57 »
My last Mk4 the window dropped into the door and VW policy is to pay 50%
of the cost.Now on my second MK4 (04) and am getting nervous..If its any help to ppl, a couple of days before the window dropped I noticed an intermediate cracking sound on operating the window.Actually its probably no help at all cos any normal person would have known something was wrong and took it into the stealers....? ? Anyway,My stealer agrees to 50% of the cost.. laters :-\

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP