Author Topic: Cam Belt Change Mileage  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Cooper7

• Not said much yet
Cam Belt Change Mileage
« on: 24 November 2008, 10:03 »
My GTI is at 54k and is due for its fourth service so I rang the dealer up to get it booked in this morning and they told me it will only be £175 for the service which is cheaper than I was expecting.  :smiley:

I then asked about having the cam belt changed as I was under the impression that it needed doing around 60k after reading threads on here, and the woman I was speaking to came back on the phone and informed me that it doesn't need changing until 95k or fours years whichever comes first. I asked her to confirm this was correct so she went away again and came straight back and said this was definitely the case.

Just wondered if anybody knows if this is right or wrong as I searched on here, and from previous threads, people are pretty adamant that it needs doing at 60k and checking every 20k after that?
« Last Edit: 24 November 2008, 18:48 by Cooper7 »
MKV Steel Grey GTI

Offline Cass

• I live here
Re: Cam Belt Change Mileage
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2008, 17:35 »
Thought it was 4 years or 60k personally - details are in the user manual, though manufacturers reserve the right to change the spec and dealers should be advised of the correct intervals. I'd get it in writing personally, in case anything goes wrong before then :shocked:

Cass
Now: VW Touareg Altitude V6 TDI 3.0 240 bhp, Diamond Pearlescent Black
Previous: MY2007 GTI, 3 door, manual, pearlescent black and lots of toys - gone to a good home : )

Offline Glenn

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2008, 18:21 »

i was at my local dealer earlier and asked same question they came bk and said its due at 100k miles or four years also they are changing engine oils and are going to be using longlife oil 5/30 in all servicing from the new year so a std service will recieve longlife oil as thats what vw headoffice have sent through for next year
Fully loaded 2005 Graphite Blue 3dr GTI DSG.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2008, 20:10 »
I'm pretty sure the service manual for my 05 plate says 60k or 4 years.  In my old X plate 1.8T the service manual said the interval was 120k but I think later models had a different interval - about 60k.

Maybe after seeing some real world 60k timing belts coming off VW have discovered that they have a longer life than expected?
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline bacillus

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2008, 20:20 »
This maintainance update has recently been issued in the US and Canada.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline bacillus

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2008, 20:22 »
Sorry about the huge pic above...   :embarassed:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline ukdub

• Not said much yet
  • WH05 DUB its my DUB
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2008, 09:05 »
In my service book (2005 GTI, AXX engine) It says
CHECK at 60k, 80k and 100k and change at 120k
I would never leave it that long so it will be changed at my next service at 75K
Laser blue with BBS CH wheels in 19"
APR software, APR RSC turbo back exhaust, APR HPFP, Dbilas flowmaster intake, KW V3's
BSH speedshop PCV stage 2 fix but with Forge catch can

Offline Cooper7

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2008, 12:57 »
Yeah thats what my service book says and that seems to be the general consensus between owners, but if the dealer is telling me that it doesn't need doing to 95k I'm going to go with what they say and if something goes wrong, hold them to it!
MKV Steel Grey GTI

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2008, 15:40 »
I'll probably change mine at 60k regardless - assuming I still have it :wink:

Only just gone over 13k at the moment, so it is quite far away for me.

My service booklet says 120k miles for the cambelt change, but only lists the 147kW TFSI engine and not the Edition 30 output engine. There is no mention of anything different in the Edition 30 supplement to do with the cambelt either. :nerd:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2008, 16:43 »
With the mk4 Golfs, they reduced the recommended mileage for cambelt changes when they discovered the tensioners were failing earlier than expected. We're all guinea pigs and I'm afraid if something goes wrong outside of the warranty period... I don't think you'll have any comeback regardless of what it says in the service schedule. I'll have mine changed at the service after it hits 60k.