Author Topic: a warning to those with front brake upgrades - ESP/ASR/ABS issue  (Read 18484 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Just been mooching through the Ross-Tech Wiki,  :nerd: and noticed that the Teves Mk60 ESP/ABS requires specific adaptation settings, based on what size front brakes are fitted - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/VW_Golf_%281K%29_Brake_Electronics_%28MK60%29:wink:

So for those who have upgraded their front brakes, either with the OEM S3/R32/Cupra 345mm ones, or aftermarket big brakes such as AP/Alcon/Tarox - then you should really get your settings changed.  If you have gone down the OEM route, then maybe your official stealer may do it, but for any aftermarket kits, you will need to find someone with VAG-COM/VCDS.

RedRobin:  could this be a cause of your ESP issues?
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline joesgti

• I live here

GTI MK5
Not the only GTI...........but the best! ; )

Offline john_o

• I live here
now thats a nice meaty issue TT

From the codes is it adjustable or can you only pick from the options available (i.e. any OE setup available)?
Looks to be only a selection
Black 3dr Edition 30 manual
DEFi boost gauge | ECS Dogbone | WLineAntiLiftKit

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
If you have upgraded from the 16" min wheel size standard brakes to the 17" min wheel size R32 ones you need to tell the cars software and set a hardware bridge.  Just altering the register via VAG-COM is not enough.
Currently digging a bunker.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
now thats a nice meaty issue TT

From the codes is it adjustable or can you only pick from the options available (i.e. any OE setup available)?
Looks to be only a selection

You can make up your own values, but you REALLY need to know what you are doing with that stuff.  Enter some "wrong" info that the relevant controller is unable to recognise, and you can end up actually ruining the component.
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline luca

• Here all the time
Can my local revo dealer adjust these codes TT?
Put the leon cupra brakes on mine today :smiley:

Golf gti ed30, tornado red, itg panel filter, revo stg 2, team dynamics gloss black wheels, turbo back milltek, ecs dogbone mount, leon cupra brakes. s3 intercooler ordered.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
If you have upgraded from the 16" min wheel size standard brakes to the 17" min wheel size R32 ones you need to tell the cars software and set a hardware bridge.  Just altering the register via VAG-COM is not enough.

Huh - WTF are you on about.  :rolleyes:

For a start, you are using "yankie" terminology for measuring brakes,  :sick: which most Brits and Europeans simply ignore (because the yankie measurements are factually incorrect and confusing to even the most basically educated European who can use a ruler or tape measure  :rolleyes:).  And all the VCDS recode is doing is altering the in-built bias compensation parameters for the differing hardware which has subsequently been fitted!  :rolleyes:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
Can my local revo dealer adjust these codes TT?

If he has VAG-COM, then yes.

Put the leon cupra brakes on mine today :smiley:

Pictures . . . .  :wink:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline luca

• Here all the time
Will get some up in a few minutes :smiley:

Golf gti ed30, tornado red, itg panel filter, revo stg 2, team dynamics gloss black wheels, turbo back milltek, ecs dogbone mount, leon cupra brakes. s3 intercooler ordered.