Author Topic: Black or C/F VW Badges..group buy?  (Read 35112 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
Re: Black or C/F VW Badges..group buy?
« Reply #190 on: 31 August 2008, 19:42 »
RR one final question regarding the rear badge or should I should ask Charles?

There were two flavours of rear badge, one that was smooth (and prone to worming) and the other with raised VW logo.

Does the type of badge you send in affect the look of the final CF product you receive?

....That's a good question but one I'm sure which won't be a problem. I'll shoot Charles off an email tonight.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline CarbonDynamics

• Not said much yet
« Reply #191 on: 01 September 2008, 05:52 »
i dont even know what the core is  :embarassed: :embarassed:

A core is the Factory VW emblem piece.The front emblem is made out of two pieces a silver plastic piece and a black backing(holder)plastic piece.
/b]
i dont even know what the core is  :embarassed: :embarassed:

isn't the core the original badge  :huh:

That is correct the core is the factory VW piece

or is it the black bit that the badge sits on?? so if the badge is the "core" then why do they need the original badge??

I agree for the front, it sounds like the black plastic bit the chrome badge clips onto (the part which fit's into the grill).

For the rear I still haven't got a clue what the core refers to.

I presume they need the "core" to bond the new badge onto as they don't just clip into place in the same way as the original chrome one.

It would be good if Charles from CarbonDynamics could post some pics to clear this one us.

The rear core is the same as the front but the rear chrome piece is all i need Also on the front emblem the chrome part is all i need but you can send
the full front emblem and i can put the two piece back together.Once i have your emblem i sand it and apply the carbon fiber and it looks just like factory but it is carbon fiber.
NO tape or glue needed   it is a permanent piece after the carbon is applied.

Also if you have problems taking off the rear emblem and scratch it or bend a edge it is OK.(This wont happen when removing it) but if you do somehow i can fix it for free so dont worry about taking off the rear emblem.
Everything will be fine if you use the plastic card.I was probably the first one to take this off back on Feb of 2006 and yes i was scared because i was not sure if it came off.But it did and everything was fine.
So dont pass up this group buy because you are worried about taking off the rear emblem!

« Last Edit: 01 September 2008, 05:56 by CarbonDynamics »

Offline CarbonDynamics

• Not said much yet
« Reply #192 on: 01 September 2008, 06:03 »

There were two flavours of rear badge, one that was smooth (and prone to worming) and the other with raised VW logo.

Does the type of badge you send in affect the look of the final CF product you receive?

Hello

I just found out on a few early models that the rear emblem is a metal flat logo.This is very RARE.If you have the rear emblem that does not have raised lettering
You can NOT do this in Carbon Fiber.I have not seen this in person but i was told a small amount had a sticker instead of a raised plastic VW logo.
This has to be very limited as VW must have ran out of rear vw emblems and used a sticker on a few MKV GTI's.
If you look at your car you will know the change by looking at it.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2008, 18:35 by CarbonDynamics »

Offline CarbonDynamics

• Not said much yet
« Reply #193 on: 01 September 2008, 06:06 »
Sorry for not posting on here for a few days.
Any questions keep asking them and i wll answer them. :smiley:
I also of notification on now! :cool:
« Last Edit: 01 September 2008, 06:12 by CarbonDynamics »

Offline joesgti

• I live here
« Reply #194 on: 01 September 2008, 09:14 »

Hello

I just found out on a few early models that the rear emblem was a sticker.This is very RARE.If you have the rear emblem that does not have raised lettering
You can NOT do this in Carbon Fiber.I have not seen this in person but i was told a small amount had a sticker instead of a raised plastic VW logo.
This has to be very limited as VW must have ran out of rear vw emblems and used a sticker on a few MKV GTI's.
If you look at your car you will know the change by looking at it.

its not a sticker, its a more of a metal plate in a round circle, can almost make it out in this pic

GTI MK5
Not the only GTI...........but the best! ; )

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #195 on: 01 September 2008, 10:22 »
....Hey Charles,

I don't think any of us here have a 'sticker' type of rear badge. Looking at the rear emblem, on some the silver VW letters are more raised from the matt black inbetween the letters than others which are only slightly raised. Hope that makes sense but I personally don't have a pic (I think! I'll have a hunt on the internet).

:afro:

This is not the greatest pic but a huge enlargement of a 'shallow' less raised VW lettering version. Anyone else got pics or can post one of either 'shallow' or 'raised' versions please?

Having just had a chat with TTS about this, we reckon it won't make much difference to Charles because he probably makes each one by hand, but we'll wait and see what he says.
« Last Edit: 01 September 2008, 12:35 by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #196 on: 01 September 2008, 14:57 »
OK, the orginal "flat" rear core was part no: 3C5 827 469 C ULM.  This was dropped end of Sept 2007, and superceeded by 3C5 827 469 D ULM.  Those dates & part numbers are for dealer supplied parts though, so factory fitted parts may have different dates.  Furthermore, if anyone has had the early type rear badge replaced, under warranty or otherwise, for the worming, then you will automatically get the latest version.

For the UK, the rear core assembly is around £76 plus VAT.  Another option would be to visit a scrappy and get the rear core from a bent Golf !!!  :wink:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline bacillus

• I live here
« Reply #197 on: 01 September 2008, 19:38 »
I tried quite a few scrap yards around here but without success so far.   :sad:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #198 on: 01 September 2008, 19:45 »
I tried quite a few scrap yards around here but without success so far.   :sad:

....Yes, but for rear or front? or both? And anyway you don't need to in order to get the CF versions, unless you can't stand the idea of running around for a short while being badgeless.

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #199 on: 01 September 2008, 19:47 »
For the UK, the rear core assembly is around £76 plus VAT.

....That's for the whole lock mechanism - No-one needs to buy that component in this group buy.