Model specific boards > Golf mk5

Considering.....

<< < (4/6) > >>

RedRobin:

--- Quote from: se19kid on 12 February 2008, 10:10 ---whats DSG?

--- End quote ---

....That's a very long story!

It's a wet dual clutch gearbox system in which the cogs are paired in evens and odds so that the next gear up or down is instantly available. It's NOT an 'automatic' gearbox but does have automatic gear shifting options. It shifts gear faultlessly everytime and is faster than any human shift.

D mode = Changes gear automatically.

S mode = Kisses the red zone revs in each gear before changing gear.

M mode = Manual shifts controlled either via steering wheel paddles or nudging the floor stick tiptronically.

You can overide, mix and match the modes to suit while driving.

Because of so many possible combinations it takes a little while to become fluid and natural. But it's the best of all worlds - Scream on the twisties with the paddleshifts and pop her into D for stress-free traffic jam crawls or urban.

Hurdy:

Direct Shift Gearbox is a dual-clutch automated manual gearbox, which shifts gears faster than Michael Schumacher could ever hope to even in an automatic Ferrari. With two wet plate clutches and a two-part transmission shaft operating different gears, the DSG never takes a rest. For example, when you select “D” for drive, first gear is selected by one clutch, and second gear is pre-selected by the other clutch. This produces an almost seamless gear change with little or no loss of power between shifts. The DSG is currently on board the Bugatti Veyron :cool:

Although you can also change gears manually on the GTI/ED30/R32 using a set of steering wheel mounted paddles, there’s no point really. Just select “S” for Sport and the DSG will run to almost redline in every gear with a little bonus on the way down. When braking hard on the approach to a corner, the car will automatically down shift with a delightful double clutch song, enabling you to power out of the corner in the perfect gear ratio.

It is a great gearbox and is now being copied by the likes of Nissan in their GTR, the new Evo 10 and Porsche, so you can tell it is good when others imitate :wink: :cool:

barry-gti:
 :shocked: dat jus sounds amazin lol, the way second gear is pre-selected is jus sick, so theres no clutch pedal? i duno if i wud get bored or not, i love to have a good rev at times but the power and quick shifts jus sound brilliant mate, u lot are well smart, i got a lot to learn but im only 18 so i got time lol, ill have to get an ED30 in a couple years. upgrade from my mk3 1.8 SE lol

RedRobin:

--- Quote from: Hurdy on 12 February 2008, 11:17 ---
Although you can also change gears manually on the GTI/ED30/R32 using a set of steering wheel mounted paddles, there’s no point really. Just select “S” for Sport and the DSG will run to almost redline in every gear with a little bonus on the way down. When braking hard on the approach to a corner, the car will automatically down shift with a delightful double clutch song, enabling you to power out of the corner in the perfect gear ratio.
--- End quote ---

....I strongly disagree with you saying "there is no point really" in using the paddles.

One of the things I learnt on my performance driving course (on public roads in my car with top grade blue light instructor) was to select every gear to maintain the ability to instantly either slow or accelerate in the optimum gear.

For approx the first 20,000 miles (44k miles total) in my GTI I only used D and used S for fun twisties and for an overtake. It's behaviour is great and is exactly as you say but does not give you as fine control as using the paddles manually. There are circumstances where she'll change gear when you don't necessarily want her to and also take you into revs you don't necessarily want/need.

Having said that, I absolutely love DSG and wouldn't want another car without it or its equivalent (Mitsu Evo X?).

:smiley:

ice_cube99:
Nice bit of info on the DSG!!

Rang motorpoint today, they sold theres today (just my luck), but said they can get one sent up from down south, 3dr silver if i wanted it! He also said they were £19.999 anyone know the reason for them selling them at this price?

Tempting eventhough i want it in candy white

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version