Author Topic: GTIvED30  (Read 4536 times)

Offline stevieC

• Here all the time
GTIvED30
« on: 11 January 2008, 21:34 »
Tonight on my way home(8:00pm)driving along the motorway when in my rear veiw mirror seen xenon lights flying towards me,thought it might be the coppers so slowed down and pulled over to the inside lane to let the car pass.Anyway the two cars came up to a roundabout and stopped,looked over and seen it was an ed30 so i thought i would have a go,pulling away the two cars f4ckin cained it from this roundabout to the next is about 1.5miles and only slightly the ed30 pulled ahead.again came to the roundabout and the two cars come alongside each other and put the windows down he shouts over what mods have you done to to your golf mate i shout back f4ck all totally standard. i dont think he new what else to say. Not bad for a bog standard gti wait for the revo.
Gtd 3dr candy white,charleston shadows

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTIvED30
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2008, 21:39 »
You'll probably bump into him there then :grin:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline telboy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2008, 22:03 »
Tonight on my way home(8:00pm)driving along the motorway when in my rear veiw mirror seen xenon lights flying towards me,thought it might be the coppers so slowed down and pulled over to the inside lane to let the car pass.Anyway the two cars came up to a roundabout and stopped,looked over and seen it was an ed30 so i thought i would have a go,pulling away the two cars f4ckin cained it from this roundabout to the next is about 1.5miles and only slightly the ed30 pulled ahead.again came to the roundabout and the two cars come alongside each other and put the windows down he shouts over what mods have you done to to your golf mate i shout back f4ck all totally standard. i dont think he new what else to say. Not bad for a bog standard gti wait for the revo.
To be honest I have had the std GTI and now have an ed30, in real world conditions there really isn't anything in it, something like 0.3 of a second! Lets be honest, blink of your eye and its gone!  :huh:Where I really have noticed the difference is while at speed, on private road of course, above 80mph, the ed30 does have the advantage and pulls better. :evil: To be honest, even with a remap on both cars, I still think the ed30 would have the edge, but only just :shocked:

Today some idiot in his v6 touareg tried to race me and he had the advantage as I couldn't get my power down, still edged ahead and left him standing at the next dual carriage way, but hey he tried and failed! Bottom line is in real world conditions, you ain't going to notice a seconds difference, let alone 0.3 seconds!! :tongue:

Offline stevieC

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2008, 22:23 »
Yes telboy he only slightly pulled ahead above 80mph,forgot to say this was on a private road.
Gtd 3dr candy white,charleston shadows

Peskarik

« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2008, 04:40 »
you guys have your own private roads over there?  :wink:

Offline djhorace

• GTI forum regular
  • Yee ha!
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2008, 11:14 »
There is not going to be night and day difference between a GTi and Ed30. When you think about it this way, there is technically only 15% difference in power which really is not a huge amount. Aerodynamics will put stop to most of that when the speed is up and off the line, you are restricted by the same transmission and limitation to deliver power to the road.

In addition, depending who is driving, a GTi could well be faster than an Ed30. All it takes is to be changing gears too early/late to take any advantage away.

Remapped, this would probably be less likely. Mod vs Mod, ie full exhaust, filter, bigger intercooler and remap, it would seem that more can be made out the BWJ engine over the BWA. 260bhp-270bhp is a rough figure for a well modified GTi vs 320-330bhp for the same mods on an Edition 30. All of a sudden the 30bhp or 15% defecit is closer to 25%. However then there is the issue of power delivery, so perhaps the Ed30s power advantage would be reduced initially slightly more than the GTi due to comparative inability to deliver power to the road.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2008, 11:23 by djhorace »

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2008, 16:52 »
i dont know why but i have never even had a Gti driver give me a try. Surely there must be someone who want to try their luck??

or maybe they are waiting for dry times :rolleyes:

Offline djhorace

• GTI forum regular
  • Yee ha!
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2008, 16:57 »
i dont know why but i have never even had a Gti driver give me a try. Surely there must be someone who want to try their luck??

Now is not a good time for us front drive boys and girls :(

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2008, 22:19 »

Now is not a good time for us front drive boys and girls :(

Problem is its probably going to rain from now til atleast may :rolleyes:

Offline djhorace

• GTI forum regular
  • Yee ha!
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2008, 09:36 »
Probably  :sad: