I have been winning a few items from ebay, (Dubster, I missed out on that spoiler because I cocked up at the last minute!
Any ideas where I can get another one?) including a spare ECU, (which incidently had to be returned as it was incorrectly advertised and not for my car) a replacement polished rocker cover, a G60 grille badge, (still yet to be delivered) some sharks fins that fit over the spokes in the lower part of the front bumper, (again, still to be delivered) and a genuine Golf G60 carpet set which I won from German ebay! I say genuine as they are different to the 8V and 16V carpet sets due to the different shape and size of the centre tunnel.
This is what this part of my update is on.
The original carpets that came in the car stank! The sound proofing was wet and the drivers footwell plastic heel guard was damaged.
Also the edge trimming and stitching was in poor condition and bleached with wet and age.
So out came the interior again, this time including the centre tunnel carpet, which I did not remove originally. And guess what, it was soaking and stinking. That's what you get for not removing it in the first place. (puts two fingers to temple and pulls the thumb)
The 'new' carpet did not come with the sound proofing, so I went down to the local equivelent of B&Q and bought some builders grade high density foam sound deadening stuff.
I used the old sound proofing as a pattern and cut out the required shapes. I then removed all the old sound proofing felt from the old carpets. This is glued onto a sort of plastic or plastic coated high density card backing, and it was this backing I needed. I then removed the backing and used spray contact adhesive to glue the new foam to the backing. I then glued onto this my new carpet.
I did this twice, one per side and the results are very satisfying. I then proceeded to fit the new carpets and finally managed to force them round behind, or should I say in front of the air mixing box. It started to look very nice.
Whilst I had the interior out, I decided to mount the sub amp where I intended to in the first place. I looked up on Dubsters project pages to see how he had done it and, well, basically did the same. I had this idea a long time ago but not much of an idea on how to do it.
I de-rivetted the side panel support and packed out the cavity with the foam I had left. I then cut up an old seat back I had as a spare and trimmed it to fit inside the cavity. I then mounted the amp to it and fitted it inside the cavity and wired it up. After a quick test I carried on with the refit of the interior.
All the carpets went in quite quickly.