Well, this is a long overdue update, purely because I was concentrating on working on the car. Anyway, progress has been made.
As in my last update, these arrived in the morning.
So I dropped the idea if replacing the suspension, and started the engine work.
First was to fit the cam shaft. This is the old one still in place.
Then both side by side. Spot the difference.
I went about fitting this, but as I don't have a manual for the G60 engine, I had to rely on experience to get it right. Alas, I do not have any further pictures of the engine work as, to be honest, I got so engrossed into it, I forgot!! My bad!
Anyway, I got the cam changed with no problems at all, along with all the drive belts, including the serpentine belt that runs the compressor , the water pump and the alternator.
The tensioner pulley for the cam belt was absolutely knackered. I would have given it not even one hundred more miles before it would have caused some serious damage to the engine. It was as dry as a bone, half the bearings were missing where they had broken up and if you got all the bearings to one side, the pulley would cock over to one side. Far from satisfactory.
Word of warning to those who do their own maintenance, or even to those who get it done at the garage, always replace or insist on having replaced, the cam belt tensioner with the cambelt, whatever the condition. Its false economy not too! I always do, and this is the first time I have seen one in this state.
Next I fitted the compressor. Once it was in, I had to try to remember the routing of the serpentine belt as it had been a while since I took it apart. I finally got there and fitted the new tensioner spring. This thing is similar in appearence to a shock absorber from the suspension and I suppose, does exactly the same job. I bought a new one from Jabbasport, who also modified for me to make it a tad longer. Remember, I am using a 68mm pulley.
Whilst all this was going on, I had the oil draining away for a oil change and filter change. I used fully sinthetic competition oil suitable for turbo charged applications. We will see how it goes.
I have no pictures of under the bonnet, as quite frankley, I am too embarrassed. :embarassed:
I have done no detailing of the engine bay at all and it does not look very good. The reason being is that I want to prove the engine first before cleaning it up. If it goes bang, then the engine would need to come out anyway to be repaired. I aim to remove said lump later during the year to do detailing work, and I only want to do it once. That is my excuse, (and I think its a bloody good one) and I am sticking to it.
Anyway, back to the car.
I got the engine started after a while, as I had not put the distributor shaft back in the position it was in originally. The last person to do this got it wrong and adjusted the timing accordingly, which is common practice, and to be honest, a bit gash. So I fitted the cam belt with the distributor drive shaft in the correct position, which of course threw the timing out. So after fiddling with the distributor, I finally got the engine fired up, but it ran horribly. When I come to the UK next week, alas without the car, I will be buying a Corrado G60 Haynes manual so that I can check my own work against the book of words, and also set up the engine properly. But, it is drivable and you can tell, even though it is not running right, that the power from the cam (Schrick 268/276 split duration), the 68mm pulley on a stage 2 compressor, and the re-chipped ECU is wanting to unleash itself. Can't wait to get it running right and get the compressor run in.
Back to the interior. In my last post, you saw me starting to build up my stealth shelf. Well, yesterday I finished it. I added a little more material to the shelf in order to support the wire grille to cover and protect the speakers.
Then I added the grille.
I then covered the whole lot in parcel shelf material and fitted it to the car. It still needs a little tidying and I will do that at a later date.
I then set to finish the rest of the interior. Pictures of this will appear later today once I have given it a good clean.
But yesterday, I did clean the exterior and threw some polish at it, so here is a taste of what is to follow later when I take her for a little photo shoot.
I am more than happy with the final results. She will never be a show car, that was not my intension. But she will not let herself down if I ever attended one.
Now take a moment to look at the photos of her when I first bought her and compare.
More piccies to follow, hopefully later today.
Thanks for looking.