Author Topic: How do i lower my caddy?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline moonsta

• Here all the time
How do i lower my caddy?
« on: 04 February 2004, 23:19 »
 ??? is it correct that you can just turn the back axle upside down and remount it above the springs?? if so what legs/springs do i use at the front to get it to sit even?? thanks :)
Drives '96 Polo 6N and '85 Mk Golf Gti...

Veedubgt18v

Re:How do i lower my caddy?
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2004, 23:20 »
i think that is about right cos its leaf spring. wouldnt this give a big drop tho? would be PHAT if it did!  get coilovers at the front then you can adjust the ride height to match!

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2004, 20:51 »
As veedubgti said you do indeed have to mount the axle above the leaf springs instead of the current set up of being hung under them.

it does drop the rear a fair amount and I would say coil overs are gonna be the best way to fine tune it to the height you want. Otherwise you'll be sending springs back and forth till you get a ride your happy with.

Offline harr1s

• Not said much yet
  • mk1 caddy and mk2 gti owner
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2004, 21:32 »
hello there moonsta nice to finnally meet another caddy owner on the site.
i to have looked into lowering my caddy and i was all ready to go but the project got put on hold and has been for two years. but  this is all going to change shortly as i have some spare pound notes and intend to finish the project that was started.

Back the lowering the caddy, like the others have already said you basically put the axle above the springs insteed of below, this initialy lowers the back by aprx 110mm in one go some welding is also required . you can go lower by adding lowering blocks that sit between the springs and the axle this realy slams the back which in turn makes lowering the front harder because of problems with the drive shafts and bottoming out. i was advised by other caddy owners in europe not t go lower than 60mm on the front if you intend to use the car as a daily as it causes problems. another thing to bare in mind is the coilovers they come in sets of four and not many poeple will split them

Cheers  Harr1s