Author Topic: Will mk3 seats (front and rear) fit straight in a mk2?  (Read 6435 times)

Offline 16v

• GTI forum regular
Is it possible to get a mk3 set of seats (front and rear) to fit in a mk2?

If so, is it fairly straightforward or is it  bit of a nightmare to do?

Thanks

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
Re: Will mk3 seats (front and rear) fit straight in a mk2?
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2007, 17:34 »
not a straight fit, bit of tweaking of the seat rails to make them narrower for the fronts, or swap the foam etc onto a mk2 base. rear seats is a bolt in job i think?
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe

Offline POOBUG

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2007, 06:54 »
rear seats bolt straight up but you need to fabricate a mount for the base of the upright as the Mk3 seats are 2 part whereas the mk2 are 1 piece. Also the bolts at both top corners (under the parcel shelf supports) if you wind them out a couple of turns it makes it easier to fit, as the mk3 latches are slightly different.

As for the fronts its a bit more completed as the subframes on the mk2 are nearly 10mm narrower than the mk3.

If you (or know someone who) can weld its not a bad job. You will need to cut the legs of your mk2 subframes so either be prepared for it or get some from a scrapped car.

The passenger side is really straight forward, as its a case of cutting the "dogleg" shaped mount off the mk3 and replacing it with the straight mk2.

The drivers side is a little more difficult as the mechanism for the seat height adjustment is there. What I did was to heat the leg up so that it could be bent into the correct position (IIRC this is about 6mm narrower) and then fabricate a bracket and weld that on for support.

If you wish I can grab some photos later this afternoon and post them for you??

Also I have been told if its a 90spec Mk2 then you can remove the lower seat base and remove the cover and foam and replace it with the mk3 ones, although you will need to cut off the bolster bars and replace them with the mk3 ones, as they are slightly larger.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2007, 06:57 by POOBUG »

Offline 16v

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2007, 10:46 »
Top replies, thanks.

Yeah, POOBUG, pics would be awesome thanks! :cool:

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2007, 08:41 »
any chance of getting those pics?  :smiley:

Offline robiwill

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2007, 21:42 »
as Joe says easier way of getting mk3 front seats to fit is swap the lower seat bolsters to late spec Mk2 metal seat bases. these are easy to tell as the seat tilt lever is to the drivers front. the earlier ones have it to the side by the handbrake. remove the Mk2 seat boltster from the frame and the mk3 on slots in place the back of the mk3 base just slots on.
Never played around with the rears so cant coment on them, there is a thread in projects of some one fitting Mk3 rears

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2007, 09:37 »
rear seat base bolts straight on, if you get a splitfold one you need to do something with the upright as there is nowhere to bolt the middlke down to.  You can just bolt the 2 halves of the hinges together :)

Some have no issues with them fitting at the top, others have to chop big chunks out of the parcel shelf supports to get them in, your milage may vary ;)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.