Author Topic: Help with ignition timing  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Danny

• Not said much yet
Help with ignition timing
« on: 18 December 2006, 19:14 »
84 1.8... My ignition timing is all screwed up
Can someone tell me where I'm supposed to point the Timing gun at? Dont have a clue.
And lets say I dont have a gun, how could I correct the timing myself?
To retard do I turn right? :sick:
No DuB should die.

Offline Danny

• Not said much yet
Re: Help with ignition timing
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2006, 22:43 »
Well went ahead and tried to fix the timing with the help of an online manual.

Messed it all up!! Now the car wont even start.

Cam timing is off and so is the ignition timing.

Need some guidance. please.
No DuB should die.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2006, 13:11 »
You point the timing light at the flywheel, after removing the big green/white screw in cap on top of the gearbox, next to the block.
Turn engine over till the bottom end is at TDC @ piston 1.  There is a punch mark on the flywheel, and a notch on the crank pulley which lines up with a mark on the timing belt cover.  Use the flywheel mark if possible, as its more accurate. Then verify this by removing spark plug #1 and shining a torch down the hole, make sure piston one is at the top of its travel.  If it isn't and the marks defo line up, some muppet has fitted the flywheel and/or crank pulley on wrong, so you are in for a world of hurt!

You should see this after removing the gearbox timing inspection bung:

The big red arrow is the BTDC mark which you use to set the ignition timing with the engine running, the round punch mark is what you use to set the static timing with the engine off.

Ok, once the bottom end is lined up, the cam has a punch mark on the inside face (nearest the rocker cover). This should line up with the head surface.  If not, loosen the tensioner and rotate the cam sprocket till it does!
Finally, remove the dizzy cap, and make sure the rotor arm is pointing to the notch on the dizzy, it can be a bit faint, give it a clean and you'll see it.  Sometimes the dizzy has a plastic dust cap fitted, the notch is visible thru a hole in that.  If it doesn't, either turn the dizzy till it does, or loosen the belt and turn the intermediate shaft.  Its not easy with the lower timing belt cover on, but with a bit of messing about it is possible.
Then refit the dizzy cap, making sure spark plug lead #1 is on the terminal the rotor arm is pointing at, then set the firing order to 1342.

Then, once the engine is started, run it till the oil temp hits 80 degrees, then unplug thevac hose to the dizzy & plug the end, then set the timing with a timing gun pointed thru the hole above, and turn the dizzy till the big arrow on the flywheel lines up with the arrow on the gearbox casing.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2006, 13:13 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Danny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2006, 19:29 »
Ok.. Which one is piston 1, far left or far right closet to the flywheel?
No DuB should die.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2006, 20:04 »
far left, closest to the timing belt :)

Offline Danny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2006, 20:07 »
well got everything lined up rotor on the mark which falls under wire #1 to piston #1, cam pulley dot to top of cam cover, and flywheel to TDC mark which is a lil left of that nut.. right? Should everything work?
No DuB should die.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2006, 20:10 »
aye it should be spot on

Offline Danny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2006, 20:12 »
Alright i'm gonna crank it up be back in 5 min. Might I be forgettin anything b4 I do start it?
No DuB should die.

Offline Danny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 20 December 2006, 20:27 »
ok.. I tried starting it and it didn't fire up. Now the notch on the cam shaft should it be lower the cam cover or just over it. Its either a notch up or notch down with the belt.
No DuB should die.

Offline Danny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 20 December 2006, 21:20 »
I finally got it, the picture above that you posted isn't the same flywheel that I have, thats why I couldn't get to run. Cars running fine now. Thanks :grin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/BLACK_cabbie/Engine%20Related/Engine%

That link should work if anyone needs a picture of a different flywheel. Like the one I ran into.
No DuB should die.