Author Topic: VDO Gauges - Clarification of Wiring & Senders  (Read 16518 times)

Offline pegasus

• Here all the time
VDO Gauges - Clarification of Wiring & Senders
« on: 30 August 2006, 18:14 »
Please dont slate me b4 iv started.... :cool: but I have searched the forum and read all the relevant guides etc that are linked from various threads, but Im still confused as to where to hook the wires from the oil pressure and temp gauges to under the bonnet.

I have the twin terminal VDO sender (035 919 561A, 1.8 bar) and the T piece from big boys toys

What Im wanting to know is basically which sensor I remove from the oil filter housing to plumb in the T piece and what do I connect to the two terminals on the VDO sender (one is marked 'G' the other marked 'WK')

Hope this makes sense, and look forward to your responses.....

Paul.

1.8 20VT GTI

Offline pegasus

• Here all the time
Re: VDO Gauges - Clarification of Wiring & Senders
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2006, 18:23 »
Oh, yeah, and do I have to buy a different temp sender or can I utilise the one Iv already got? I want the MFA temp reading to still work...

1.8 20VT GTI

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2006, 18:43 »
i don't think it matters which you swap for the t-piece i put it on the one nearest the block as it made things neater... and i used my original temp sender. i sem to remember it annoying me a bit though!
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe

Offline pegasus

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2006, 18:56 »
alright, cheers joe

where is the temp sender, and what do i connect to the 2 terminals on the VDO sender?

How did it annoy you, just out of interest...

1.8 20VT GTI

Judderi

« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2006, 08:42 »
If you have the twin terminal vdo sender then i dont think you need the T piece or origional sensor anymore. I was under the impression that you remove the front sensor. Screw in your twin one. Connect the origional wire to the terminal marked WK and connect your new guage to the terminal marked G.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2006, 09:36 »
Ok, bear with me this will get a bit complicated :grin:
You need a T pice connector to fit VDOs, because you need an extra oil temp sensor as well as the 2 pole pressure sensor.
You cant run 2 wires to the MFA oil temp sensor, as it will make both the MFA & gauge read wrong, and you cant really just wire the VDO gauge to the MFA sensor either as it is the wrong rating for the gauge so it wont read right, you need an audi 0-180 degree one.

As for the 2 pole oil presure sensor, there are several types!
Check the flats of the sensor, it will have 2 values that we are interested in:
0-5bar or 0-10bar - this tells you if the sensor is suitable for a 0-5bar gauge, or a 0-10bar one.
0.3bar(ish) or 1.8bar(ish) - this tells you if the sensor should replace the high pressure (white, 1.8 bar) oil warning sensor, or the low pressure (black/brown 0.3bar) oil warning sensor.

You must replace the right one, or your oil warning light will not function correctly!  On an 8v GTI, the low pressure sensor is on the side of the head with a blue wire, and the high pressure sensor is on the oil filter housing with a yellow wire.  On a 16v both pressure sensors are on the oil filter housing.

Since yours is the 1.8bar sensor, you should replace the high pressure warning switch, which is the white one with a yellow wire :)
Mine was the low 0.3 bar one so I had to replace the black low pressure one with the blue wire.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2006, 09:38 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Judderi

« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2006, 09:42 »
Im still confused so i bet the other guy is too.

How come on my mk2 with the mk3 abf motor i simply had the 2 pole sensor screwed into the 1st hole ontop of the oil cooler. There was no T piece and both my guage and warning buzzer/ligt worked fine.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2006, 09:44 »
Probably because on the abf you have 3 holes in the oil filter housing for your sensors, on the MK2 there are only 2 holes so you need a T-piece :)

I think very late MK2s also had 3 holes on the housing, but I'm not so sure about that.

Edit: You need the T piece if you want to have both the oil pressure and oil temp gauges working, AND the MFA as well.  If you don't care about the MFA you can just swap the audi temp sensor on there and throw the MFA one away.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2006, 09:46 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2006, 17:06 »
read this......

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.combes2/Vdo.htm

i did it when i put mine in.

can johny or someone make it sticky in mk2 maintenance cos we get asked this a lot

ta

Offline pegasus

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2006, 17:28 »
Thanks alot guys, I really appreciate your help

So, in effect then, I have to replace my high pressure warning sender with the T piece, then screw the audi twin pole sender into that along with a new 0-180 deg audi temp sensor... yes?

But, I still dont know what to wire up to the posts on the twin pole sender which are marked 'G' and 'WK'.... Im guessing that 'G' represents gauge but have no clue what 'WK' stands for

PS - Mr Veedub8v.... I have read the above guide, and it is in the mk2 maintenance section but its still confusing... lol

1.8 20VT GTI