Author Topic: GTI Clubsport, Season 2, Episode 1  (Read 3536 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTI Clubsport, Season 2, Episode 1
« Reply #30 on: 16 March 2021, 19:56 »
Definitely looks like the cubby holes on that one might contain some sort of south American powder...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline DB99

• Just got here
« Reply #31 on: 27 March 2021, 08:23 »
Thanks for the really detailed review / thoughts Exonian. It’s really good to get insight into how it stacks up against the TCR and M135i. I’m strongly considering moving my 7.5R for this.

Important question though, do you, or does anyone know, can the side decals by removed? I had thought it would be a simple fix with a heat gun but see you mentioned in your initial post that this may be moulded on? Thanks
« Last Edit: 27 March 2021, 09:18 by DB99 »

Offline jaceyboy

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 27 March 2021, 09:07 »
Those decals I'm sure can be removed by a hot air gun...I would also get rid if I bought a Clubby

MK7 GTi 300BHP, Black 19" Pretoria's

Offline DB99

• Just got here
« Reply #33 on: 27 March 2021, 09:20 »
Thanks, I’m hoping that is the case. Can’t say I love them and I would prefer without.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 27 March 2021, 11:48 »
Hi and welcome DB.
Is your username your number plate or are you an Aston owner? Or maybe just fond of ice creams... ?  :whistle:  :grin:

I could literally blither on for hours about how different Golfs I’ve owned compare. I’ve not had a 7.5R but did own a 7R for 18 months (four of which I barely used the car so stupidly sold it and immediately regretted the blunder). We live and learn.

The Clubsport is very very good. I’ll do a rare thing and keep this very brief at the risk of boring everyone senseless though. If you’ve got any specifics you’re wondering about then fire away though.

The stickers are an easy peel off. Just a bit of heat and they’ll come away with no issues similar to the TCR chequers.
I’m actually quite fond of the door decals now. They grow on you so don’t be too hasty. They give the car a bit of unique to the spec character but admittedly would tie in much better with the optional Black Pack (or whatever it’ll be called when the option goes live).
The moulded plastic bit is the trailing edge of the plastic bumper canard which leads into the door stripe visually. The door stripes are definitely vinyl though. See the pic on page 1 for the bumper canard moulding.

2020 GTI Clubsport
Prior to that a couple dozen other warmed over VWs

Offline DB99

• Just got here
« Reply #35 on: 27 March 2021, 12:07 »
An Aston fan, but I never say no to an ice cream either  :laugh:

Ive really enjoyed ownership of the R but do fancy a change in the relatively near future. The TCR is probably my favourite MK7 variant so the new CS seems like the closest offering under the MK8 umbrella and from initial reviews seems to offer at least as good, if not marginally better, performance and driving dynamics.

Good to know regarding the stickers. I would likely give it a period of time before removing just to see if I warmed to them before ceramic coating the car.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 27 March 2021, 22:31 »
Day to day there is very little in it between mk8 CS and 7.5 TCR as far as driving dynamics and performance goes. It really depends on your preference of looks, cabin and physical availability. 
2020 GTI Clubsport
Prior to that a couple dozen other warmed over VWs