Author Topic: Octavia vRS vs Mk 8 Golf GTI  (Read 11143 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Re: Octavia vRS vs Mk 8 Golf GTI
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2020, 22:31 »
Looking at pics of the Vrs, am I alone in being utterly baffled by, and repulsed by, square and rectangular exhaust pipe “holes” ( real or fake)?

From VAG to MB via Volvo ...... just why?

Even when the pipes are genuine, which is not often, they look utter crap.

Worse still, the multitude of cars that have a styling nod to such things incorporated into the rear styling, ( yes you VW amongst other culprits)..... WTAF?

Square and rectangular exhaust rant now over!
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 05 December 2020, 09:58 »
Looking at pics of the Vrs, am I alone in being utterly baffled by, and repulsed by, square and rectangular exhaust pipe “holes” ( real or fake)?

Worse still, the multitude of cars that have a styling nod to such things incorporated into the rear styling, ( yes you VW amongst other culprits)..... WTAF?

I'm with you 100% on that, utter rubbish. Especially when you can see the real pipe behind them pointing down on a diesel.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 05 December 2020, 11:07 »

I'm with you 100% on that, utter rubbish. Especially when you can see the real pipe behind them pointing down on a diesel.

Definitely seemed to be a trend that has gathered a lot of momentum in the last few years. My 2015 C200 had them, with the real exhausts behind but at least it had real ones in there as the C220d had the same rectangle exhausts but blocked off with just an exhaust on one side! Think even the C63 has just 4 square exhausts with the actual round pipes sat behind.

Quite happy BMW manage to fit proper exhausts even to their hybrids!  :smiley:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 05 December 2020, 11:19 »

Quite happy BMW manage to fit proper exhausts even to their hybrids!  :smiley:

The 2 series now has rectangular exhausts on some of its models  :cry:
No doubt it will start to sweep through the rest of them.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 05 December 2020, 11:26 »

You do have a GTD though so I would imagine any petrol engine would sound good  :grin:

Interestingly the best sound I've ever had on any of my Golfs was the GTD with the sight and sound pack. It had a lovely growl.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 05 December 2020, 11:38 »
There is more to a car you know than exhaust pipes.  :whistle:
7.5 GTD

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 05 December 2020, 17:25 »

You do have a GTD though so I would imagine any petrol engine would sound good  :grin:

Interestingly the best sound I've ever had on any of my Golfs was the GTD with the sight and sound pack. It had a lovely growl.

Fake noise! Don't think it's possible to make a 4 pot diesel sound good.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 07 December 2020, 17:09 »
I didn't say it wasn't fake.
Just my opinion. Its been the best sounding out the 3 performance Golfs

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #28 on: 07 December 2020, 17:58 »
You'll love this then.... from an article I read today on the new Qashqai:

"In order to make the car sound more premium, Nissan has teamed up with famed videogame brand Bandai Namco to create the car's internal noises."

Real-Life-Ridge-Racer(tm) or something  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 07 December 2020, 22:15 »
Sooooo, I think we are all agreed.
Honest round visible pipes making a non- electronic noise are the only real deal.
Ayethankyaw!
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)