Author Topic: A Wheel Question  (Read 840 times)

Offline colsay

• Not said much yet
A Wheel Question
« on: 25 November 2020, 16:33 »
Hi everyone

I have a 2019 GTI with Parker alloys. The car was purchased at 6 months old from a VW main dealer. The salesman said he needed to "do" one wheel to bring it up to standard. Twelve months into my ownership (car 18 months old) white worm started to appear on the front two wheels. I took it to another VW main dealer and they dismissed it as stone damage.
Recently I gave the car a thorough wash and both front wheels have evidence of significant marking on the black laquer. I sent photos to my nearest VW dealer and they refused to get involved, saying I had to go back to where I purchased the car. I have emailed the dealer I purchased from and am awaiting a reply.
So, it seems very evident that the car I purchased has had both front wheels refurbished and not to a very high standard. I understand that diamond cut wheels should only be refurbished once or max twice. 
Having looked through previous forum posts I see a lot of members have replaced their Parker alloys. To be honest I am quite happy with them, but not the mottled front pair. The car has only done 14000 miles.
I will try and attach a photo. Any advice on how to proceed with the selling dealer next week would be much appreciated.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/colsay/p/b00358ef-6a01-4a26-98b5-a7c3ac2c95ac
2019 7.5 P/P DSG

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: A Wheel Question
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2020, 17:15 »
There’s always a risk when you buy a used car - nearly new or otherwise - that the wheels may have been refurbished. White worm corrosion would be covered under VW’s new car factory warranty if the white worm was the result of a manufacturing defect. However, if the wheels have been refurbished, then VW won’t want to know, as the white worm may be the consequence of a poor, substandard refurbishment. Similarly, if it’s the result of stone chip damage, VW wont entertain a warranty claim - they’ll maintain the damage is the result of an external influence. The dealer you bought the car from may be willing to submit a warranty claim to VW. However, as above, if the wheels have been refurbished or have / have had stone chip damage, then unfortunately I don’t think you’ll get anywhere. No harm in asking them though; if you don’t ask, you don’t get.

I’m not a fan of diamond cut alloys to put it mildly. The diamond cut lacquered finish isn’t very durable compared to a painted / powder coated finish especially when subjected to winter road conditions, and lots of diamond cut wheels succumb to white worm when they’re around 2-3 years old. I’ve currently got them on my car but hopefully not for much longer - I’m planning on replacing them with a set of more durable painted / powder coated wheels.

Good luck if you do decide revisit the original dealer. Please keep the forum updated on developments.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline colsay

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2020, 17:24 »
Thank you SRGT for your very comprehensive reply. I wish you weren’t right, but my suspicion is that you will be!
As a parallel thought, supposing my ex demonstrator car had prior to my ownership suffered a ding to the front wing, it would have been repaired and repainted before putting up for sale.  If rust or whatever started showing through after 12 months you would return the car and say fix it. So why won’t they sort the wheels?
I think I know the answer to my own question. Wheels are not easily repairable and a new wheel (apparently) from VW is £699 plus VAT.
I will update the forum on my progress or otherwise!
2019 7.5 P/P DSG

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2020, 18:52 »
If there is evidence that the wheels have been repaired then they need to go back to the place that did the refurb and claim on their workmanship guarantee if they offered one. But you will obviously need to negotiate with the dealer that sold you the car and see if you can come to an agreement.

Same with wings, VW won't be interested in a warranty claim for a wing that's been repaired unless it's been repaired by VW or a VW approved repairer.
7.5 GTD

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2020, 19:51 »
Things may have changed at VW?
However in 2016 I purchased a secondhand PP privately, the Austins were mildly white wormed at purchase.
I took the car to a VW garage I had no prior relationship with and they agreed to change 3 under warranty.
I wasn't that happy and said I would have to come back in a few months when the other wheel deteriorated?
Result was 4 new Austins, fitted and balanced by VW. :)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2020, 20:36 »
Things may have changed at VW?
However in 2016 I purchased a secondhand PP privately, the Austins were mildly white wormed at purchase.
I took the car to a VW garage I had no prior relationship with and they agreed to change 3 under warranty.
I wasn't that happy and said I would have to come back in a few months when the other wheel deteriorated?
Result was 4 new Austins, fitted and balanced by VW. :)

I think that since Dieselgate, VW may be taking a firmer line on warranty claims in an effort to reduce costs.

I had two diamond cut alloys with white worm replaced under warranty back in 2014. The dealer just took a couple of pictures of the wheels - presumably to send to VW for authorisation to replace them - and new wheels arrived a 2-3 weeks later. There were no other checks, other than the dealership’s warranty manager giving them a cursory glance. 

I’ve read on other forums that the dealer now also takes paint / lacquer thickness readings on wheels prior to submitting a warranty claim - presumably as an additional check for evidence of wheels having been refurbished. If there’s any suggestion they have had a refurb then warranty claims will almost certainly be denied.

Some brand new cars have damage to wheels while they’re in transit from the factory to the dealership, and in some instances that damage will be repaired through a refurb rather than a new wheel being fitted. If those wheels subsequently show signs of white worm / corrosion within the warranty period, I wonder how VW would deal with the warranty claim?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl