Author Topic: Mk 8 GTI dead before it's arrived?  (Read 3033 times)

Online fredgroves

• Forum addict
Re: Mk 8 GTI dead before it's arrived?
« Reply #40 on: 18 September 2020, 17:42 »
I’ve never really looked at the i30n but I did today ( at the outgoing model ). You can only spec paint, everything else is standard so the kit of pretty comprehensive

A friend has one and has not had a single issue. I wish my VW had been like that

Also, they are held as UK central stock and lead time is two weeks. Yes, two weeks....

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #41 on: 18 September 2020, 22:13 »
It certainly makes it easier if all you can choose is a colour and the car appears 2 weeks later. I was looking at German Hyundai site (after reading some i30 owner comments) and in Germany they are far more options to pick and choose.

I’m probably getting into an area I don’t fully understand but I’m sure I heard Hyundai UK was independent unlike VW UK which is owned by VW Germany ( I think). So I think maybe that is why Hyundai just get a stock of fully loaded i30N in a selection of colours as that is more suitable arrangement for their finances and say VW has the choice to spec a car if the prebuilt ones aren’t what you want. Totally happy to be shot down if talking rubbish.

On fuel economy, if asked, I’d say my Golf R gets average 33mpg. I know the combined WLTP mpg is pretty much the same, so pending a test drive I’d be happy to look at WLTP combined in other cars and rate them accordingly. Think i30N is a combined 34mpg but as mentioned before fuel economy can go up as well as down. :laugh:

2007 Polo GTI
2013 Polo BlueGT
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual

Online mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #42 on: 19 September 2020, 08:18 »
Two owners I've spoken to on the petrol forecourt didn't get anywhere near 34mpg combined, more like 24.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #43 on: 19 September 2020, 10:00 »
Two owners I've spoken to on the petrol forecourt didn't get anywhere near 34mpg combined, more like 24.

That isn’t good, esp from a 2 litre, 4 cylinder Fwd. now, if you were talking to RS3 owners that would kind of make sense.

So McMaddy what sort of mpg would you say you get from your TCR?
2007 Polo GTI
2013 Polo BlueGT
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual

Online Watts

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 19 September 2020, 10:36 »

That isn’t good, esp from a 2 litre, 4 cylinder Fwd. now, if you were talking to RS3 owners that would kind of make sense.

My TCR is great on fuel, I'm getting 40+ on long runs, mid 30s on shorter runs. Current long term average is 38 (I've been doing plenty of long runs recently). Short but steady commutes would dip into the high 20s but Covid and wfh has removed those!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Online mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 19 September 2020, 11:49 »

at just over 1k miles my long term is showing 31mpg and that's all been short journeys with the exception of one and I got 41 from that 👍

Online fredgroves

• Forum addict
« Reply #46 on: 19 September 2020, 12:39 »
From everything I've read, the N engine is nothing like a VAG or BMW engine in any way shape or form. Whether that's good or bad depends on your personal opinion I guess.

I've still yet to try it, but it does sound glorious  :cool:

Online mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 19 September 2020, 15:24 »
From everything I've read, the N engine is nothing like a VAG or BMW engine in any way shape or form. Whether that's good or bad depends on your personal opinion I guess.

I've still yet to try it, but it does sound glorious  :cool:
it didn't feel as quick as my GTi pp and that was 48bhp down. Torque wise though the GTi was slightly more. It was still a nice car and the gear rev matching did make me smile. If you couldn't care less about bottom line mpg figures then it'll be a great car. Badge snobs will be the issue though especially on VW, Audi and BMW forums.

Offline damianmkv

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 19 September 2020, 16:19 »
I showed the 2021 i30n to my wife and she really liked it. She hates the mk8

I’ve had Golfs for 31 years, so maybe it’s time to change
7.5 GTi PP DSG in indium grey, pro nav, excite dynaudio, Santiagos
7.5 R also in Indium Grey

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #49 on: 20 September 2020, 09:34 »
Thanks, Watts and McMaddy for fuel consumption and ride quality comments.

Thanks Fred about comment on engine.  So VAG engines sounds like they are more sophisticated
2007 Polo GTI
2013 Polo BlueGT
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual