Author Topic: DSG box mapping  (Read 541 times)

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
DSG box mapping
« on: 29 July 2020, 17:56 »
Does anyone have any experience of mapping the 7 spd DSG gearbox in the Mk 7.5 GTI PP? (in a bid to make changes quicker, and possibly alleviate the issue of the box wanting to be in 7th gear at 30mph?)  I'm hoping there might be a solution as effective as the peddle box is at solving the 'dead travel' in the accelerator peddle?

Offline fredgroves

• Forum addict
Re: DSG box mapping
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2020, 20:19 »
I've never heard anyone on here do the Dsg software upgrade. Plenty of them out there for a while now and by all accounts it makes a lot of difference.

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2020, 20:35 »
I have the 6-speed, but it was remapped by DMS when they did my engine remap. It’s definitely better suited to the car now, it rides the clutch a lot less, the clamping force has been increased, and the manual mode is far more manual (eg no kickdown when you’ve manually selected a gear).

Well worth it, and I can’t imagine the 7-speed will be much different.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2020, 17:44 »
Is it the general concensus that the 7 speed box is noticeably worse for hesitation/1st gear engagement from a standstill?

Our Polo GTI+ has the DQ250 wet clutch 6 speed box and my A4 40 (190TDI) Avant Quattro has the newer 7 speed wet vltch box as you'd see on most facelift performance Golf 7.5s.

The Audi seems to take an eternity to pick up 1st from a standstill and move off, unless you prod the throttle about 3/4s before you actually want to move. It's a knack I've mainly gotten used to, but it is annoying you have to drive in this way.

I can only assume that it's intentional by VAG to preserve the clutch packs or to facilitate comfort - or both.

Both boxes feather the gear changes in on the move very noticeably but the Polo GTI+ has a much quicker pick-up of 1st.

I wonder if it's tied to vehicle weight also?

The Polo GTI+ is no lightweight for it's size, weighing barely less than a manual 3 door MK7 Golf GTI, but it's got to be easier on the clutch pulling that rather than the A4 (which weighs about 40kg more than a MK7 DSG Golf R.

If car weight is a consideration, I'd expect the R to take a little longer to engage 1st at a standstill than a GTI.

The amount of feathering-in you experience with a DSG is huge. Those quoted 0-62mph times you see for a DSG R trouncing a manual R must only be possible if feathering-in isn't taking place, with launch control - presumably that's why you (apparently, was it ever proven?) only get 200 launches before your DSG gearbox warranty is toast.

I'd like to get a DSG remap on the A4 to reduce the 1st gear engagement time, not sure it's necessary on the Polo GTI+, but warranty implications are always a worry.

The hesitancy seems considerably less in proper manual mode (gear lever slotted left)
« Last Edit: 01 August 2020, 18:15 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline clarky92

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2020, 19:23 »
Does anyone have any experience of mapping the 7 spd DSG gearbox in the Mk 7.5 GTI PP? (in a bid to make changes quicker, and possibly alleviate the issue of the box wanting to be in 7th gear at 30mph?)  I'm hoping there might be a solution as effective as the peddle box is at solving the 'dead travel' in the accelerator peddle?

APR have a DSG 7 speed map. If you go for APR stage 1 there is a standard and high torque map. If you want the high torque map on the 7 speed, it’s also recommended to do the DSG software. Manual cars are advised to go with low torque as the clutch is made of chocolate.

I don’t know if you can just do the APR DSG 7 speed map on its own. Give Regal a call as they just did a 7.5 GTI PP stage 1 high torque with the DSG software upgrade. The guys there know their stuff and probably will will be able to advise.
Golf GTI 7.5 Performance MY19 in Deep Black Pearl, DSG, 5 Door, 19" Genuine Gloss Black Pretoria's.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2020, 20:57 »
Tvs is supposed to be the best gearbox map.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2020, 14:34 »
I have stage 3 DSG mapping on my 7speed 7.5R.
It is excellent. Much smoother than standard, gearchanges are whip sharp and it has a choice of settings to go for when first installed by the dealer.

TVS, APR, UGP, Ecotune, R-Tech and a few others all have dsg tunes.👍

Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline TippEx

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2020, 14:55 »
Racingline, Unicorn and Mountune also do it.

I'm running the mountune DSG map on my 6 speed Mk7 and love the difference, just seems more natural than stock.  Mountune don't have an option to by the DSG map without the stage 1 ECU map though.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2020, 11:36 by TippEx »
2016 GTI PP.  Mountune52 Stage 1