Author Topic: Rim Protection  (Read 11352 times)

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
Rim Protection
« on: 25 April 2020, 20:41 »
Hi all, Guessing this has been posted a few times. I'm getting my BStars paint repaired due to kerb scuffs. They've been painted once already due to scuffing but I wanted a darker shade of silver anyway. Can anyone recommend a tyre with good sidewall protection. Or does anyone have thoughts on these rim protection kits.
Cheers Richard

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Rim Protection
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2020, 22:25 »
Hey Richard, never been sure on alloygator etc. In my experience Falken tyres have had quite aggressive tyre wall protection.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2020, 15:42 »
I was talking to Indy tyre fitter I’ve used for years - he reckons Alligators are not so good as they are stuck on in parts that can damage a Diamond Cut wheel when removed.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2020, 16:09 »
I would always be nervous about fitting any rim protection product that needs to be hammered into place (admittedly, using a ‘soft’ hammer).

I’ve also read of one or two horror stories where these hammered on protectors have become detached from the wheel at the point where the two ends are joined, and the loose end starts flailing about with every revolution of the wheels, hitting the car’s body work and damaging the bodywork in the process.

I personally wouldn’t fit these rim protectors; I’d go for tyres that offer good rim protection, which I know is no guarantee against kerb damage, but IMO nothing offers 100% protection.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline whogives

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2020, 11:40 »
I was talking to Indy tyre fitter I’ve used for years - he reckons Alligators are not so good as they are stuck on in parts that can damage a Diamond Cut wheel when removed.

I was thinking of these protectors too. Just fitted new TCK Alloys. The only issue with the protectors I've found is water ingress the protectors hold the water in. (Diamond Cut wheels will suffer more than any)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2020, 16:13 »
Im changing my Kumho tyres for Pirelli P Zero's to gain more rim protection

MK7 GTi

Offline McCrae1971

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2021, 20:57 »
Had alloygator on my last car and regret doing so. They came apart several times and when removed revealed scuffs around all four wheel so still had to get the wheels reconditioned.