Author Topic: How to remove decals from TCR?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
How to remove decals from TCR?
« on: 06 March 2020, 13:52 »
I want the honeycomb decals off my car. What's the best way to do it without damaging the paint? I have a heatgun and tar/glue remover for the residue but really don't want to pull any paint off in the process!!

I assume they're just vinyl stickers that can be peeled off. Then the paint may need some correction afterwards, which is no problem

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: How to remove decals from TCR?
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2020, 18:10 »
From that it sounds like you know exactly what is required  :smiley:

I'd be tempted to visit a signwriter, get their advice and for a few quid on a big money GTI, get them to do it.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2020, 00:16 »
I just decided to have a go at it today as having worked in window tinting/vinyl wrapping before - how hard could it be?

Turns out it's very easy. Here's the steps I took in case anyone else ever wants to remove TCR decals from their car. Unlikely but you never know.

1. Get a heatgun for £11.99 from Screwfix - https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb467htg-2000w-electric-heat-gun-240v/59740

2. Get some tar and glue remover. I used this one from Detailed Online - https://detailedonline.co.uk/collections/decontamination/products/tar-glue-remover

3. Wash the area with the stickers on with APC and rinse thoroughly, then dry

4. Carefully apply heat to a sticker with the heatgun. Literally about 10 seconds at a time from relatively far away

5. Gently try to get the corner of the sticker and peel it off. It should come off easily. If not, add a bit more heat and try again. None of the ones on my car were difficult to remove at all.

6. Throw this lot in the bin.

7. Spray the tar/glue remover all over the areas where the stickers were. Leave to soak for a bit then remove the residue with a microfibre. No pics of this.

8. Wash the car (not essential but nice to do after removing them) and enjoy the side of the car with no stickers on it  :cool:

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2020, 19:48 »
Nice job and great write-up.

Car looks so much better without them!
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2020, 09:06 »
Much better, but you might want to add some protection, as the tar remover will have stripped any wax or sealant.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline hardmonkeys

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2020, 11:54 »
looks better in my opinion.
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

It doesn't matter who you are, where you are, who you are with or even the conversation...all that matters...is the car you arrived in!

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.0