Author Topic: Mk7 seats supportive v F30 Bmw 3 SERIES?  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Npr

• Not said much yet
Mk7 seats supportive v F30 Bmw 3 SERIES?
« on: 22 January 2020, 22:25 »
Hi. I currently have a bmw 3 series f30 with sports seats but no lumbar. Have lower back, shoulder and neck pain when I drive-not had before this car. Been going to osteopath for nearly a year and now physio and gym. Still bad when ever I drive but gets better when I don't drive for a few days.
So seriously thinking of changing to a golf gti. Had a basic golf on holiday for 10 days and my back was ok. I realise it is very subjective and I will try to get a longer test drive but has anyone come from a 1 or 3 series (both have numerous posts on forums about unsupportive seats that I wish I'd seen before I bought my car) and can comment on how they find gti seats.

Thank you

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk7 seats supportive v F30 Bmw 3 SERIES?
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2020, 07:01 »
It’s a very individual thing. My Mrs can’t drive VAG group cars for long distance without back pain, but I never have the same problem. I’ve owned (or had company cars) for many VAG cars and I find the GTi seats and seating position the best of all, but there really is no replacement for having a go yourself.

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2020, 07:34 »
I have had part of my lower disc removed a few years ago but I still suffer with my back, my old three series and even the wifes mini are for more supportive for my back problem than my gti, but it is very subjective as has been said, I also had a gt86 which had brilliant seats but all three ( 3 mini gt86) have very low seats, I benefit while seated by this but you may benefit from a higher seated position such as the golf.
gti pp manual white 5 door

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2020, 09:24 »
Hi. I currently have a bmw 3 series f30 with sports seats but no lumbar. Have lower back, shoulder and neck pain when I drive-not had before this car. Been going to osteopath for nearly a year and now physio and gym. Still bad when ever I drive but gets better when I don't drive for a few days.
So seriously thinking of changing to a golf gti. Had a basic golf on holiday for 10 days and my back was ok. I realise it is very subjective and I will try to get a longer test drive but has anyone come from a 1 or 3 series (both have numerous posts on forums about unsupportive seats that I wish I'd seen before I bought my car) and can comment on how they find gti seats.

Thank you

I think if you suffer with back problems as bad its sounds, then try as sitting in as many cars as possible, get as many extended test drives as possible and when you think you have found a comfortable car, hire/rent one for a month to try. Sounds extreme but buying the wrong car will cost you a lot more.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2020, 10:05 »
I think if you suffer with back problems as bad its sounds, then try as sitting in as many cars as possible, get as many extended test drives as possible and when you think you have found a comfortable car, hire/rent one for a month to try. Sounds extreme but buying the wrong car will cost you a lot more.

Yes! If you have any doubts or have experienced a problem before - do this!

One of my requirements for a car is adjustable lumber support as I know full well that without it I'm in trouble.

Standard on a performance Golf, optional on a BMW or Audi.

But even that might not do it for you personally.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2020, 10:11 »
From someone that has been lucky enough to have never suffered any back issues I get that the seats are more supportive in the GTI but wouldn't that be offset by the firmer ride? The GTI does a really good job of smoothing things out considering what it is but I can't help think if it was that bad I'd rather have something with more SE suppleness? :undecided: or does it not work like that?
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2020, 11:35 »
A slight segway, but I never understood why the lower end models on the MK7/ MK7.5 got the option of the ergoactive seats with the extendable seat squab, electric adjustment (including lumbar) and massage function ?

You would have thought that would have been an option at least for the top models ? All the Audi and Merc's I've sat in all have at least an extendable seat squab, and for me with long legs, it's a godsend.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2020, 11:48 »
I too have a bad back and ride comfort is a big issue for me. I currently drive a Fiesta ST line and am considering a performance Golf. I've had a few test drives in GTI/GTI PPs with mixed results - some seem better than others yet are the same spec. A big plus is that lumbar support is standard on the Golf - scandalous that it is an option on some Audis/BMWs.

Re 'SE type' suspension - most of the cars I've driven have that but it may have been causing another problem. While it is good for local, potholed roads, I notice I get a sore neck on long distance drives (regularly do 250 miles on m/way & A roads mostly). I'm wondering if the 'wallowy' suspension, ie roll in corners is causing that and if a more sporty set up would help?   

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2020, 11:51 »
From someone that has been lucky enough to have never suffered any back issues I get that the seats are more supportive in the GTI but wouldn't that be offset by the firmer ride? The GTI does a really good job of smoothing things out considering what it is but I can't help think if it was that bad I'd rather have something with more SE suppleness? :undecided: or does it not work like that?

I think that whatever the specific back problem is will be a factor in deciding whether or not a particular seat is comfortable and offers sufficient support in the right places. Lots of other factors also have a potential impact on whether what’s comfortable / supportive for one person will also offer sufficient comfort and support for another; e.g. a person’s height, build, weight, leg/arm/body length within their overall height.

I’ve had back issues for nearly 40 years and currently visit my chiropractor every 2-3 weeks to help maintain my flexibility to help keep my back-related issues under control.

I’ve owned a range of performance and non performance cars during my 40+ years of driving, some with very good, supportive seats and some less so. I found the sports seats in 1980’s/1990’s warm/hot Vauxhalls that I owned were very good; with good bolsters, infinitely adjustable lumbar support and extendable seat cushions. I also find the seats in VW’s performance models good.

IMO, there’s no substitute for taking an extended test drive - if possible over a number of days and for different length of journey of different road types, as that the only way the OP will know whether the seats in a GTI are right for them.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2020, 11:58 »
There are so many variables, seat height, lumber support, reclining, steering wheel reach and rake.

If one of these are out for a particular individual then surely that could be a contributing factor rather than its a Golf / BMW / Audi etc problem?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14