Author Topic: MK8 latest info  (Read 10666 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: MK8 latest info
« Reply #160 on: 24 June 2020, 12:40 »
Going with trend of there being nothing compelling about switching to a MK 8 or purchasing a run out MK 7.5 off the forecourt is these images of the MK 8 GTI TCR

https://www.motor1.com/news/422752/vw-golf-gti-tcr-no-camo/

Maybe there is more trim to come, but just looking at these images on face value, the front end is awful, one huge gaping grin, the rear diffuser is very muted and nowhere near as nice as the MK 7.5 TCR with the Akrapovic lost

However, do like the rear spoiler, that would be the only add can see.

The rendered front end looks much better https://www.motor1.com/news/391961/vw-gti-286-horsepower-rumor/

Agree, I saw the first image over on golfmk7.com the other day. That lower grille is not nice at all IMO.

I think the lower grille in the render (2nd link) is probably a good indication of what the mk8 R will look like, with horizontal slats in the centre section of the lower grille rather than a honeycomb section. I agree, the rendered image at the second link does look better than the car at the first link.
2016 Pocket Rocket Polo GTI 5dr manual, Blue Silk, Jacara tartan seats, Sports Performance Kit, Climate Control, Convenience Pack, Parking Pack, VW Motorsport Alloys in anthracite.
Gone but not forgotten; 2011 Golf GTD; 5dr Carbon Grey, Grey Jacara tartan seats, 18" VW Rotary alloys in Anthracite, Bi-xenons, Parking Sensors, RCD510+Dynaudio, Luxury Pack.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #161 on: 24 June 2020, 19:45 »
It needs some body coloured panels in the front bumper just to break up that huge expanse of grill IMO, to break it into 3 distinct sections.
2018 GTI DSG 230ps 5 door, Indium Grey - 19" Brescia alloys, Art velour interior, Dynaudio, DCC, keyless, wireless charging, adaptive headlights, Lane assist, side assist, rear assist, dynamic traffic sign display, heated Windscreen, rear view camera, Winter Pack

Offline Hertsman

• Here all the time
« Reply #162 on: 25 June 2020, 11:10 »
It needs some body coloured panels in the front bumper just to break up that huge expanse of grill IMO, to break it into 3 distinct sections.

Totally agree, the render looks quite good, in line with how some others are going, such as the Audi A3 https://www.carwow.co.uk/audi/news/4199/audi-s3-price-specs-release

But if that is the front of the GTI TCR then its nothing short of ugly, so lets hope its just for testing purposes.

Seems the MK8 R looks much more like you would hope https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2020-volkswagen-golf-r-unwrapped-nurburgring-tests

Does seem like the MK 8 GTI/R spoiler is more aggressive, and an improvement over my TCR which is quite understated with its little additional lip
Present - Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2nd car:  2014 Audi A1 SLine Black Edition Mythos Black STronic 185 BHP
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC
- 2010 Phantom Black Manual Audi A3 3 Door SLine Quattro 170 BHP
- 2007 Brilliant Black Manual Audi A3 3 Door SLine Quattro 170 BHP

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #163 on: 25 June 2020, 12:38 »

Totally agree, the render looks quite good, in line with how some others are going, such as the Audi A3 https://www.carwow.co.uk/audi/news/4199/audi-s3-price-specs-release

But if that is the front of the GTI TCR then its nothing short of ugly, so lets hope its just for testing purposes.

Seems the MK8 R looks much more like you would hope https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2020-volkswagen-golf-r-unwrapped-nurburgring-tests

Does seem like the MK 8 GTI/R spoiler is more aggressive, and an improvement over my TCR which is quite understated with its little additional lip

That white mk8 R in the Autocar pictures is still wearing some camouflage- those wide angled white sections in the lower front grille are covering the details of the actual grille and the upper section of the outer grilles in the front bumper are covered in white tape.

The final version of the mk8 R’s front grille probably is more like the GTI TCR render at the first link in your post from yesterday.
2016 Pocket Rocket Polo GTI 5dr manual, Blue Silk, Jacara tartan seats, Sports Performance Kit, Climate Control, Convenience Pack, Parking Pack, VW Motorsport Alloys in anthracite.
Gone but not forgotten; 2011 Golf GTD; 5dr Carbon Grey, Grey Jacara tartan seats, 18" VW Rotary alloys in Anthracite, Bi-xenons, Parking Sensors, RCD510+Dynaudio, Luxury Pack.

Offline Hertsman

• Here all the time
« Reply #164 on: 25 June 2020, 16:23 »

That white mk8 R in the Autocar pictures is still wearing some camouflage- those wide angled white sections in the lower front grille are covering the details of the actual grille and the upper section of the outer grilles in the front bumper are covered in white tape.

The final version of the mk8 R’s front grille probably is more like the GTI TCR render at the first link in your post from yesterday.

If it is, and with the seemingly more aggressive looking spoiler the R seems to be the winner in the looks stakes out of the traps. Not liked any of the models but the R would be the exception and can actually even say the work 'like'

Present - Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2nd car:  2014 Audi A1 SLine Black Edition Mythos Black STronic 185 BHP
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC
- 2010 Phantom Black Manual Audi A3 3 Door SLine Quattro 170 BHP
- 2007 Brilliant Black Manual Audi A3 3 Door SLine Quattro 170 BHP

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #165 on: 26 June 2020, 09:57 »
Seems more and more manufacturers are going down the huge grill route (which seems to be to appease the US and Fast East markets), but as horrible as the new MK8 Golf is, it's an oil painting compared to the new BMW 4 series (no this is not a render but a production car, with the 1st models already in US showrooms)   :sick: :sick:

« Last Edit: 26 June 2020, 09:58 by Sootchucker »
2018 GTI DSG 230ps 5 door, Indium Grey - 19" Brescia alloys, Art velour interior, Dynaudio, DCC, keyless, wireless charging, adaptive headlights, Lane assist, side assist, rear assist, dynamic traffic sign display, heated Windscreen, rear view camera, Winter Pack

Offline fredgroves

• Forum addict
« Reply #166 on: 26 June 2020, 15:43 »
Its just trends in car design. Give it a few years and you won't bat an eyelid.

I remember the Ford Sierra coming out... hardly looks radical now.

Offline drbyel

• Just got here
« Reply #167 on: 29 June 2020, 19:15 »
Does anyone know whether the new Golf 8’s standard LED lights can be changed to right lane driving, like a travel mode?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #168 on: 29 June 2020, 19:26 »
Its just trends in car design. Give it a few years and you won't bat an eyelid.

I remember the Ford Sierra coming out... hardly looks radical now.

I think you’re right. At the time when Audi rolled out their signature large radiator grille in the early 2000’s across all models, I really didn’t like it. I don’t give it a second glance now, and I doubt many people do.