Author Topic: No heat, needs a matrix flush.  (Read 590 times)

Offline P4ddy

• Not said much yet
No heat, needs a matrix flush.
« on: 03 January 2020, 19:49 »
Right my Mk6 is blowing cold air instead of hot. I've searched and found the heater matrix gets blocked and requires a flush or replace. I've not found anything about it being an issue on the Mk6 but a common fault on the 7. Anyhow has anyone done a flush themselves and was it straight forward.  I see it's got them clamps that need squeezing with pliers to remove and I always find clips like that a b!tch. Any pointers on the best way to tackle this?

Offline P4ddy

• Not said much yet
Re: No heat, needs a matrix flush.
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2020, 09:14 »
Another possibility is the blend motors so I've read. Had a listen this morning and I can hear both left and right motors move when adjusting the temperature so they're working. I did get some warm air too but not hot. So possibly the matrix is a bit cruddy rather than blocked. 

Offline P4ddy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2020, 10:54 »
I was going to attempt this today as regal autosport said I should try it first. Having a look and trying to gain access through many large plastic pipes and a huge battery box is near impossible. I don't want to break anything as there is just so much plastic. If I damage a hose I'm screwed. Coming from an E46 this thing is an absolute nightmare. I want to diy it but I think this has me beat and there are zero tutorials or info on this for a Mk6 or 7. I can't find anything online that suggests this is a common fault on the Mk6. Surely someone has done this? The hoses fit onto  a plastic  inlet/outlet so I could potentially crack that too. I'm thinking why did I buy a VW. Yea looks great, drives great, but such a ridiculous design. My 1988 Audi heater matrix failed twice so surely it could have improved during 32years?? Yea it's getting me annoyed.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2020, 12:04 by P4ddy »

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • 29+ years of GTI ownership.
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2020, 13:07 »
Im on most the forums and facebook groups for the mk6 and have been for my 10yrs of ownership and not read about this been an issue. I have on the mk7.
I also own a leon based on the mk4 golf and have owned it 15yrs now. I have had an issue with the flap sticking on that in the past but some tapping of the heater box seemed to free it and its not been an issue in the past couple years since.
What state is your coolent in now?  It may be even just worth changing it to see if that helps free up it if thats the issue. When you change it if it has alloy particles I  or sludge then it would indicate that could be the issue.
Mk1 GTI, Mk6 GTI, Mk1 Leon & 3 non VW.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • 29+ years of GTI ownership.
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2020, 13:15 »
Two source of info worth searching out for diy info
Self studie program 2.0 tsi engine
ELSAwin
Elsawin is vws step by step manuals used to show how to do different repair jobs.
Mk1 GTI, Mk6 GTI, Mk1 Leon & 3 non VW.

Offline P4ddy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2020, 14:13 »
Coolant is clean, tank is clean, top pipe very hot, lower pipe stone cold. When searching that it says blocked matrix. When i spoke to regal they also said blocked matrix. The coolant is a peachy orange colour (not rust but very clean)

Offline P4ddy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2020, 14:22 »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2020, 06:19 »
Coolant is clean, tank is clean, top pipe very hot, lower pipe stone cold. When searching that it says blocked matrix. When i spoke to regal they also said blocked matrix. The coolant is a peachy orange colour (not rust but very clean)
Do you mean the pipes on radiator

Offline P4ddy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2020, 06:28 »
Quote from: barrym381
Do you mean the pipes on radiator
[/quote

The two pipes at the bulk head joining the matrix
« Last Edit: 26 January 2020, 08:56 by P4ddy »

Offline P4ddy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2020, 09:03 »
How the hell did I post a quote backwards?? Lol. Anyhow feeling  more positive about this today. I see how to remove a few bits giving a tad better access and I also managed to open a clip with maul grips. Just need to measure the existing hoses then buy some clear plastic hose. Won't be able to anything then for 2 weeks as I'm working the next 11days.