Author Topic: Goodbye E46 hello Mk6 gti  (Read 375 times)

Offline P4ddy

• Not said much yet
Goodbye E46 hello Mk6 gti
« on: 31 December 2019, 14:06 »
Hi all. Been an E46 owner for 12 years now and have faced every 'common issue' going and then some. I was initially after an e92 330i manual but they're very hard to find in the spec I was after. Anyhow I then sat in a Mk7 GTi and was blown away by the interior and that steering wheel etc. A Mk7 though is a bit above the budget we set (yes the wife has a say too) then I noticed the Mk6. To me I felt this was a good compromise until a Mk7 .

So I began looking and was after dark grey, Monza shadows, leather, manual. Sat nav is not a deal breaker for me and besides I've read of them freezing. I ended up viewing 3 cars after searching for a long time for one in budget and condition. Well I ended up viewing 3 black gti's none of them with monza shadows. Soooo I find myself about to collect tomorrow a black 2012 GTi with leather, no satnav and some after market 18in wheels with brand new Michelin's fitted. Condition and history is far better than any of the grey ones I've seen advertised. Wheels can be changed if I wish.  Thing is now I need to wash and polish it and I'm excited and fearful at the same time. Time for some good mitts and buckets I think. Here is the car and I'll upload pics once I've give it a dam good clean and polish.

Offline P4ddy

• Not said much yet
Re: Goodbye E46 hello Mk6 gti
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2019, 14:22 »
After driving a couple of these coming up from a 318i I'm impressed with the performance. It has a horrible tendency though to make you boot it. Not good when my licence is my bread and butter.  Another thing I'm very pleased with is accelerator response. My 99 318 is cable operated and responds instantly. Until now every modern car I've driven has had a very noticeable delay which I find annoying and tbh quite dangerous. The last car I drove like it was a 62 plate Passat. So I was relieved to find the GTi does not have the delayed response which makes me like it more. I'm not sure a delay is a compromise I could live with.