Author Topic: Replacing coolant tank with Silicon bag  (Read 18782 times)

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
Replacing coolant tank with Silicon bag
« on: 28 November 2019, 17:12 »
Hi

I want to replace my tank and the dealer says the tank doesn’t  contain the silicon bag from the factory.

Has anyone replace their tank and did you buy a new bag ? I want to replace the tank as it’s aged and peace of mind regarding the bag.

Thanks
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
Re: Replacing coolant tank with Silicon bag
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2019, 19:11 »
Looking into this further, you can buy a tank with and without the bag depending on the part number.
And other forums recommend having a bag to prevent future corrosion.

Question now is, is it worth replacing the bag every so often for peace of mind ?
2014 gti pp dsg

Online clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2019, 22:10 »
Peace of mind?

The coolant mix has anti freeze and anti corrosion inhibitors by design.

If the latest coolant tanks do not have a silica bag, do you have desisive evidence of the benefit of having a silsica bag present?

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2019, 22:18 »
Peace of mind of a old bag splitting. I read more and more of it happening online.

Strange that not every Vw Golf has a bag. Do some engines years have a material that corrodes more than others ? I don’t know.

« Last Edit: 28 November 2019, 22:24 by Rob_benton »
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2019, 22:26 »
Been following this from when it emerged on the heating failure post. When is the bag supposed to have been deleted? My March 2019 car has one. Mine looks quite robust - not like the tea bag thing in the YouTube video! I’m not concerned at this stage in my car’s life, but interested.

I would agree with the view that coolant is designed to inhibit corrosion, so why the need for this bag? I’m guessing that it’s a bit like a magnetic drain plug - leaching corrosive particles from the coolant.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2019, 22:38 »
I had read that G13 doesn’t contain as much protection as it used to. I don’t know if it’s true. Would Vw spend time and money fitting a bag if it wasn’t necessary?

I’m thinking of just fitting a new tank with bag every few years. Doesn’t cost much to prevent big bills if the worst was to happen.
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2019, 13:10 »
Removed the bag from mine years ago, I have seen what happens if the bag bursts, virtually everything needs replacing.

Online Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2019, 13:50 »
Just to be clear, this silicon bag is only found in cars with climate control fitted from the factory. As this was an option I didnt spec (option in ireland back at launch) my car has no such pouch. One less thing to worry about i suppose for me and other owners without climate control which I suspect are few and far between.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2019, 21:06 »
How much are the two header tanks, ie with and without the bag? 

And do you have the part numbers please?

Thanks
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2019, 21:36 »
Sorry I don’t have the codes but my garage said the exact tank for my car was about £18.50 + vat so should have the bag. I’d obviously check !
2014 gti pp dsg