Author Topic: WhiteGolf R Plastered in 1000's of Tar Spots, Please Help?  (Read 6461 times)

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
I attempted to wash my car this weekend and discovered the car was absolutely plastered in Tar spots.  What I mean by plastered is it looks like someone got a spary gun and sprayed tar all over the front bumper, bonnet, windscreen, headlights, grill right side drivers wheel, front pretoria wheels, front right side wing, and right side doors/handles.  What was gonna be a 1.5 hour car cleaning routine ended up becoming well over 4 hours and me giving up half way as I could not get rid of all the tar spots.  More than half the surfaces are still caked in 1000's of stubborn tar spots.  I have not seen as many tar spots on a car in my life. 

What do you guys recommend for getting rid of the tar spots from all surfaces including paintwork, gloss black plastics, clear plastic of the headlights and glass?

I have ordered Valet Pro Citrus Tar and Glue Remover... But would you recommend something different? 

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
Re: WhiteGolf R Plastered in 1000's of Tar Spots, Please Help?
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2019, 08:38 »
Welcome to the world of light coloured cars!!

You might be better asking this in the detailing section but in my experience you'll need a decent glue and tar remover, lots of microfibres and a bucket full of patience!! A clay bar and lube might be a good investment too! And in the future maybe try and avoid newly laid roads, especially on hot days! (don't think you'll need to worry about the latter for a while though! :cry:)

2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2019, 08:54 »
Unfortunately I think the weather was the opposite to what you suggest.  It was blowing a gale and heavy rain.  As a side note, I have owned white cars for over 15 years and this is the first time I have experienced anything to this degree.  Many thanks for confirming what I thought might be the case of lots of hard work and stubborn determination to remove the tar from the surfaces of my car.   Roll on the next dry spell so I can get out and clean my car again. 

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2019, 08:56 »
Brenbo, As above. 

Get a good tar remover such as Autosmart Tardis or similar (there are a few good ones), your Auto Finesse one should be fine.  Wash and dry the car the car then apply tar remover to the dry car, either spray on directly or apply with a very soft microfibre cloth a panel or two at a time, then wipe over very very gently with a MF (no abrasive action).  Finally, rinse off thoroughly. Very important not to let the solvent dry on the car.  As there’s so many tar spots you might have to repeat the process until the tar remover has dissolved as much of the embedded tar as it can.

Follow with the 'sandwich bag' test to see if there’s any tar contaminant left on the car - get a sandwich or freezer bag and slip your hand into it. Run you fingers inside the bag over the paintwork, panel by panel.  The plastic bag will emphasise anything left on the car.  If the paint feels glassy smooth then that means the tar remover has shifted all the tar.  So just wash the car again and dry and apply some protectant. The key is to remove as much tar with the tar remover as possible leaving less to do at the abrasive claying stage.

If the sandwich bag test shows that there are still tar spots then you’ll need to clay the car using a clay bar and lubricant or a clay cloth or clay mitt, again with a dedicated clay lube or just a dilute shampoo solution to use as a lubricant.  The claying process should pull off any remaining tar spots.  Again afterwards, do the bag test. 

All of this will remove any protection you have on the car (unless it’s a coating like Gtechniq Crystal Serum) so you’ll need to protect the paintwork with a sealant or wax.

Just as an aside, if you’re going to do all that, then you might want to give it a full decontamination and do the step of using iron remover (Iron X etc) after or before (doesn’t matter which) the tar removing but before the claying. This will remove any embedded brake dust and iron particles from the paint that build up over time and that normal washing cannot remove.  Then you’ll have a fully decontaminated car.

Lots of effort but worth it to have the paint clear of everything. And well prepped to add a good level of protection.  I’d do this next clear weather spell, or maybe even leave it till spring as your car will only pick up more stuff over winter, and of course the weather should be milder.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2019, 09:10 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2019, 08:56 »
JV or Jimbo, can you please move this to the detailing section.  Thanks
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2019, 10:05 »

I have ordered Valet Pro Citrus Tar and Glue Remover... But would you recommend something different?

This is the perfect product. You can easily use a whole bottle on a white car though if it's bad. I've detailed quite a few white cars and if they don't have a good wax or sealant on then they can be covered in tar and rust spots within 12 months.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2019, 10:14 »
Should I have to wax/seal the car again, which wax or sealant would you recommend for a white car? 

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2019, 10:25 »
Should I have to wax/seal the car again, which wax or sealant would you recommend for a white car?

If you don't have a sealant on then the paint gets attacked with contaminants. And white cars show this the worst. Tar spots, small rust spots, tree sap etc. All can be removed but it's a very time-consuming job.

Once you have got it decontaminated, you could hand polish it then apply some wax. Waxes last around 3-6 months.

I've used Polish Angel Master Sealant on a lot of the cars I've done as it's very easy to use and gives good protection vs cost. And will last on a single coat up to 12 months.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Darlo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2019, 10:26 »
Had the same problem with our white GTI we have just returned to lease company.

Even when it was clean it still looked dirty due to the amount of tar.

Asked on another forum and they recommended Tardis.

Great stuff, got rid of 90% with little effort.

£20 for a tin and money well spent.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2019, 10:29 »

Asked on another forum and they recommended Tardis.

Great stuff, got rid of 90% with little effort.

£20 for a tin and money well spent.

Just beware when using Tardis (and same with a lot of products):

H304 May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways
« Last Edit: 28 October 2019, 10:31 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport