Author Topic: What do we think of....  (Read 6058 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: What do we think of....
« Reply #20 on: 05 June 2019, 09:01 »
I'm seeing people talking about it being able to do 41mpg on the motorway at 70mph.... but realistic average mpg of somewhere between 24mpg and 31mpg, which I'd say is not far off what a Golf R does.

WhatCar say:

in our real-world tests, the i30N Performance averaged 31.2mpg; the more powerful Civic Type R returned 35.1mpg
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 05 June 2019, 09:54 »
I'm seeing people talking about it being able to do 41mpg on the motorway at 70mph.... but realistic average mpg of somewhere between 24mpg and 31mpg, which I'd say is not far off what a Golf R does.

WhatCar say:

in our real-world tests, the i30N Performance averaged 31.2mpg; the more powerful Civic Type R returned 35.1mpg

Both of those numbers are more than what my GTI gets :/ Mostly short journeys though for me

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 05 June 2019, 10:04 »
With my lease up in October and having to choose replacement by May had a serious look over the fence versus a replacement MK 7.5 R

The car mainly looked at was the A35 AMG which feel is a really good stab at the 300 BHP, AWD demographic and I could definitely see myself driving one.

Opposed to much of what you see, the lines on the A35 are long, smooth and sleek and the interior, though not to everyone taste is definitely a huge lift from the previous A series and its a really nice cabin to sit in.

My issue was firstly cost, as to have the car you would want, you would need to add the Aerodynamic Kit and at least the middle premium pack plus the must have adaptive suspension (consensus on the AMG forum is standard ride is quite hard) and that alone tops £40,000 and thats with leaving options like car play (media pack is £600) off.

You could push £50,000 if went for everything on offer.

The main issue being reported is build quality, rattles, poor fitting as well as some software updates required for tech glitches (which is no surprise given the tech fest of the cabin - which maybe an early view to what the first MK 8 may go through with all the mooted added tech?)

But really like the A35 AMG, has all the elements you would want and think in its next evolved version it will be a good sound purchase

I would have looked at the new BMW given it was going FWD and AWD (never considered previously as not at all comfortable with performance BMW RWD on UK roads, and thats from experience of being a passenger many times, the back sliding out and rear end wiggles at speed might be fun for a journo, its last thing I want to feel happening)

Personally ok with the new BMW but the M kits seem an absolute must and pretty sure they will drive well also. Doubt would have been enough to turn my head this time around, but think 3 years from now the BMW will be a viable option.

Looked at the Hyundai 130 N briefly, and have nothing against it at all, think its an excellent entrance into this arena, and think the next version, if they take some of the wide ranging comments on board in terms of interior, could really put itself in the frame.

Never looked at the Honda Type R, far too shouty

Audi are not an option at the moment as they change to their next generation and would have looked at whatever the latest performance option would be. Looking at the new A1 then little nervous to how the new A3 would look as not a fan of the new A1.

Did look at a Focus ST and immediately shook head and got out of it - quite like the design but interior leaves me cold

Despite looking over the fence my thoughts kept coming back to fact that the MK 7 R and GTI were still being talked about glowingly against these new cars, and that at 7 years, the MK 7 was not an ageing platform in decline, but has set the curve these others are being judged against still and not beating.

The revolution came in the MQB MK 6 > MK 7, the MK 8 will be evolution in the driving experience at best and the revolution (or regression) will come in the technical dept.

So with that as thinking it was quite an easy decision to stay with firstly an R and then when the TCR came along, a change to experiencing some of the GTI heritage for the first time - basically same fun, just a different flavour

There was comment to 300 BHP being the seemingly accepted benchmark and though know many do map beyond that, I think 300 BHP will always be enough for me, and by going to the TCR have readily lost a second 0-60 on the R as was pretty sure my road experience is not going to be too dissimilar as there is going to be plenty of pace on tap for whenever want to utilise it.

This all circles back to the fact that at 7 years and against present and upcoming opposition (including the MK8 ) the MK 7.5 is still hugely relevant and if want to save some money and even get a bargain, then selecting a MK 7.5 GTI/R that dealers are trying to clear off forecourts might be the best decision made for a while.

« Last Edit: 05 June 2019, 10:13 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 05 June 2019, 12:39 »
The biggest thing for a tight @rse like me is that you can have a mk7.5 GTI with extras for less than 30k and now the other options are looking like £35-45k. That's a pile of extra money. Seriously more expensive.

I know we have members on here with top end BMW's and Porches and god knows what else, but I'm not afraid to say that a £40k car is too much for me. It simply is.

I'm just hoping that a Mk8 is roughly in line with a Mk7.5. If not, I guess I'll be moving down a notch.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 05 June 2019, 13:22 »
The biggest thing for a tight @rse like me is that you can have a mk7.5 GTI with extras for less than 30k and now the other options are looking like £35-45k. That's a pile of extra money. Seriously more expensive.

I know we have members on here with top end BMW's and Porches and god knows what else, but I'm not afraid to say that a £40k car is too much for me. It simply is.

I'm just hoping that a Mk8 is roughly in line with a Mk7.5. If not, I guess I'll be moving down a notch.

I have to agree.
The fact the mk7(7.5) still holds its own perfectly well and still looks fresh today 7 years in, plus is loaded with kit as standard.
£40k is a distanct possibility for a modestly equipped mk8 R and possibly GTI too.
The A Class and 1 series now come with packs of extras not individual items which is apparently to do with WLTP requiring every option to be tested separately, so now it makes sense for them to bundle them in packs for simplicity.
List price of the mk8 will be similar to the outgoing model I expect to keep it competitive but discounts might be scant in the first 12 months unless BMW and Merc are being really aggressive with discounting.
By the time you’ve added £600 for paint, £1500 for one option pack which you probably wouldn’t want all items of, then another £1500 for another pack which you might want another couple of features but not all...   £40k soon arrives.

These are family cars not just wealthy people’s “just nipping down the shops car” to go with their huge SUV school run car and collection of sports models. Fair enough having a halo hatch like an RS3 and A45 (R400?) in the range for those that want a smallish car with a bit of status and don’t give a rats arse how much it costs. The GTI should be (just about) attainable, the R just above that.
With the 135i, A35, S3, Golf R etc there’s a lot of competition in that segment which is good news but the products are getting remarkably similar to compete head on.

As an aside, I’ve seen and read a few tests of the i30N and A35 now and they don’t perform as well as the Golfs in the all important (useable) mid range acceleration. The 135i should be the big performer there.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 05 June 2019, 17:31 »
BTW.... talking of "similar"... look at this...

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 05 June 2019, 20:22 »

Me too. I paid about £24k for my GTI (oddly almost exactly the same for my old A4 back in 2003!). Even paying £30k just seems too much, takes me an awful long time at the grindstone to earn that, if I'm going to part with it the purchase has to be for something that I really want. Which brings me very neatly to your 4 nondescript blue cars. No. None of those would get my wallet open.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 05 June 2019, 20:39 »
BMW are well known for their discounts, I got 22% off my last M135i.

Don't get too hung up on the list prices.
'18 245PP DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 05 June 2019, 21:39 »
. Which brings me very neatly to your 4 nondescript blue cars.

BTW, that image is... From top to bottom: BMW 1 series, Ford Focus, Mercedes A-Class, Kia Ceed, Toyota Corolla

Almost like someone has been copying someone else's homework eh...

I suspect though if you were to drop the Mk8 into that, it wouldn't look out of place either...

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 05 June 2019, 22:56 »
. Which brings me very neatly to your 4 nondescript blue cars.

BTW, that image is... From top to bottom: BMW 1 series, Ford Focus, Mercedes A-Class, Kia Ceed, Toyota Corolla

Almost like someone has been copying someone else's homework eh...

I suspect though if you were to drop the Mk8 into that, it wouldn't look out of place either...

I sincerely hope it doesn't look like that.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.