Author Topic: New to the forum problems already  (Read 14409 times)

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: New to the forum problems already
« Reply #30 on: 18 May 2019, 09:02 »
Turbo cleaner is only good for diesels really

I would bypass the N249 and change the thermostat next. My mate has just had to change both his temp sensor and thermostat on his recent purchase to get the car running anywhere near normal; owners do skip the basic maintenance on these cars due to age and the problems just snowball

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Serhado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 26 May 2019, 00:48 »
Just a quick update to anyone that ever has this problem in the future i think the dv was at fualt since switching to the forge after a few days of rough running i decided to run some redex through it too just to clean up anything that would ne clogged from running too rich dor ages, the cars been fine for over 2 weeks now.

Boost is good along the rev range car pulls well havent had any fualts come up. Still feel as tho the idle is a bit inconsistent so will change the plugs soon prob covered up from running rich and mis firing any recommendations for plugs?  Also had a sport cat along with a full exhuast system put in couple days ago car sounds ok however i feel like the car rumble low down but as you get climb the revs indont feel as the car shouts more  ut rather if i full throttle it theres a nice turbo suction noise.like a jet engine thrashing do all systems make.this or isit mine only? Similar to what im seeing called a screamer pipe sound.

Anyway ye basically check your DV!!! as it says on ross tech about n249s

Offline Serhado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 26 May 2019, 00:52 »
Next will be a remap planning on going all the way to r tech just because people cant fault them. Or any suggestions for remaps around london?

Also i jabe a replacement green air filter on the way and will be doing a water pump and timing belt service before the remap may  get the thermostat done too while im at it.

Offline Serhado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #33 on: 28 May 2019, 23:15 »
Just another update just been to paris and back today not the slightest hiccup with 2 adults 2 kids and a full boot car was great.

Just a quick question where best to get my timing belt kit and water pump from? Need to change these and im ready for a stage 1 map

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 30 May 2019, 08:08 »
Good to hear

Get a kit from the dealer, or a good quality aftermarket brand, Continental/Dayco etc

Did you tell your mechanic mate who horribly misdiagnosed the issue how you fixed it by the way? What did he say?
« Last Edit: 30 May 2019, 08:10 by Simeon »

Offline Serhado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 02 June 2019, 23:02 »
To be fair my friend which i said was a mechanic is a actually just a really good with cars generally he does alot of work on his cars japenese generally but he knows quite abut about turbos he actually said it was prob a boost leak. It was the garage owner which he was geting some work done that ran the codes and saod turbo. Then there was the guy who 1st had a look at the car he was just one of our clients and my colluege recommened him.

Mi d you when he comes to the shop now i dont even talk to him i wont even take my car for a brake change with him