Author Topic: Considering BMW 340i to Golf GTI Performance  (Read 9031 times)

Offline jlwhitworth1

• Not said much yet
Considering BMW 340i to Golf GTI Performance
« on: 11 February 2019, 23:17 »
Hi all,

Currently have a BMW 340i which I have loved over the past 2 years. Anyway, it’s just ticked out of warranty and don’t fancy adding £75 on to my monthlies for the insured / extended warranty.

I have the chance to latch on to a VW family car scheme at my local VW dealership. Basically you pick your car and pay the monthlies (with £0 deposit) with it but you only keep the car for 6 month and then hand it back, pick your next car. It’s almost like a demo but they don’t use it for test drives etc, it’s just your car.

Well the 5dr GTI Performance DSG is coming out £125 less a month than my current 340i, £200 if I take opt for the extended warranty so it’s a lot of money to save each month. Plus I also pocket a nice sum of money that I have spare in the car (remainder is to pay the remaining loan).

Just wondered if anyone has made the same jump and I suppose the real question is, will I regret it? I don’t really need to do it, I’m just trying to get abit more money behind me for another house purchase. Plus I like the idea of worry free motoring with only insurance to pay. Road tax is paid for and servicing doesn’t come into play as I change the car every 6 month.

Thanks in advance

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Considering BMW 340i to Golf GTI Performance
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2019, 07:45 »
Sounds like a good deal to me. I knew dealerships offered something like this to staff and their families but never seen the details before.

If you are worried about dropping down a car size - don't. I spent most of the last 20 years driving repmobiles and really didn't notice the difference other than its actually much easier to fit a Golf into a parking space.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2019, 10:10 »
It sounds like a good deal, if you know you will only have the car for 6 months, does it matter how much you like it.

They are a rounded practical car, it's unlikely you will not get on with it, if not really appreciate it, assuming it passes a short test drive appraisal.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2019, 10:17 »
Coming from a 340i, if I were you I'd be looking more at a Golf R rather than a GTI - although if it's only for 6 months at a time, it's not like you've got to put up with anything for too long.

Also, is it just VW or VAG group? There's a lot of nice cars across all of the brands in the group.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2019, 10:41 »
Sounds good. My previous (well I had a normal GTI first) was new shape C Class saloon and the missus had a 320d at the time. Boot probably smaller but more practical on the Golf.

Main thing I didn't like was/is the touch screen - both Merc and BM had the rotary dial which is much much easier to use on the move. But other than that, there isn't much not to like about the Golf. Won't be as quick as a 340i though.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2019, 12:45 »
It all sounds like a good deal, but what sort of equity do you have in the BMW, and what will happen to it when you hand the car back?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline jlwhitworth1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2019, 18:14 »
Thanks for all the responses. I did originally want a Golf R but they have recently stopped making them due to the WLTP regs. You are limited to what VW Cars only that they have in their network. The problem is with the Golf Rs they have, they all have the akropovic exhaust which is like a £3k option. Meaning that it puts the monthlies up £100 per month just for this alone. All the R are really high spec which makes them circa £150 more than the GTI Performance. I’m not really arsed about paying for an extra £600 over the 6 month for a titanium exhaust.

I’ve been offered £20k for the 340i and only have a personal loan with about £6k remaining. So I will essentially pocket £14kish.

What sort of MPG is achievable on a run. I know I shouldn’t ask this but I can get close to 40 in the 340i on a run at between 70mph and 80mph.

Long term average is 31mpg

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2019, 19:19 »
You'll easily get 40+ on a run in a GTi. I get mid 40s every time on any run.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2019, 19:24 »
You'll easily get 40+ on a run in a GTi. I get mid 40s every time on any run.
I got 40+ the other week on my first long run, which bearing in mind was on a very tight & new engine (less than 500miles) I was very pleased with, as I know it'll only get better as the engine loosens up...

:smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline jlwhitworth1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2019, 19:29 »
That’s good to hear, even at 70 to 80? Or are we talking more 60 to 70?

I drove one the other day but it was only a short test drive so I couldn’t really tell how good it would be on fuel, nor was I really trying in all honesty.

I did really like it but it was obviously different to my 340i. In some ways better, others not so good. Just as an example, I loved how light it felt in comparison and was pleasantly surprised at how it stuck to the greasy road around corners with it being fwd. guessing that’s the clever diff working its magic! But in contrast I didn’t really get on with the infotainment system but that just might be me not being used to it, having used I drive in BMWs for the last 5 years.

One question is will I still have fun with it? The majority of the time it will be used Monday to Friday to tootle to and from work. But the odd time I like to give it a blast given the space on the way home. In all honesty it will be sat on the drive over the weekend as my 340i is these days. We use the other half’s Tiguan for space with the little one