Author Topic: Mk3 Gti ABF Sump  (Read 253 times)

Offline tonman83

• Not said much yet
Mk3 Gti ABF Sump
« on: 01 May 2018, 14:16 »
I've managed to foul the thread to the sump plug, so I would like a new sump just in case the plug won't hold.

2.0 gti 16v Mk3, which I believe is an ABF engine and a different sump to many other mk3's.

Any feedback well received.

Offline Simeon

• I live here
Re: Mk3 Gti ABF Sump
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2018, 12:04 »
Replace it with a steel Mk2/3 sump, they fit fine and can be had brand new for £25.

Add a windage tray (originally fitted to the diesels by VW) while you're there too if you chuck it about a bit. This acts as the seal too. The only thing you have to do on an ABF to fit it is cut a small section out to clear the internal trigger wheel.

The design of the sumps is slightly different such that the ABF uses longer bolts, which is perfect if you use the windage tray as it's thicker than a normal seal. If you opt for a standard seal I'd buy some shorter bolts.

Offline tonman83

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2018, 22:00 »
Thanks for that input.

I will try to get a the tray as well. Any recommendations on where I can get this?

I do throw it around a bit, and the oil light is coming on and the dash is making a beeping noise when a rev it hard and the oil temp is 90+. (is this too high?). I'm putting semi synthetic 10-40 in it.

I have read a bit about this and I'm going to start by replacing the oil pressure switch, but do you think it's worth me checking / replacing the oil pump while I am down there?

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2018, 18:04 »
That's the right sump yeah. The windage trays used to be readily available on eBay, but I can see them on there now.

I think I've got a new sump and tray in the garage actually from an ABF conversion that never happened, I'll grab a pic tonight if you're still looking?

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2018, 18:05 »
Oh re the oil pump, yeah might be worth changing while you're there, not overly expensive. What mileage has it done?

Offline tonman83

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2018, 17:54 »
Sorry for the delay in my reply here.

Yes I am still looking. That would be fab. How much do you want for it? What happens now? Do I PM you?

Thanks for your help. I'm N ref on 106k miles.