Author Topic: OBD11 vs VCDS  (Read 609 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
OBD11 vs VCDS
« on: 25 April 2018, 07:46 »
I've noticed a propensity for a lot of users to be using OBD11 to tweak their cars rather than the Ross Tech VCDS cable.

I'm a VCDS man (having used them for years with a HEX+CAN cable), but was wondering about the differences between the two systems.

I know that as an initial purchase a VCDS cable is quite expensive, but is that the main reason for the growing popularity of OBD11 in that it's cheaper or because it doesn't require a seperate computer as well as the cable (i.e. can be done from a smart phone).

I've never used of even seen OBD11 so was wondering if some kind soul could give me a breakdown on costs, usability, features etc vs VCDS ?
Gone ...2016 GTD 5 Door DSG,

Now- GTI 230ps 5 door, Indium Grey - 19" Bresica alloys, art velour interior, Dynaudio, DCC, keyless, wireless charging, adaptive headlights, Lane assist, side assist, rear assist, dynamic traffic sign display

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
Re: OBD11 vs VCDS
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2018, 22:38 »
Heard of OBD1 and OBD2, wasn't aware it went as high as 11. Thought it was just canbus after OBD2, however VCDS can connect via OBD2 and canbus. For what you're doing there shouldn't be any difference on connection types.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2018, 22:40 by Ant1981 »
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2018, 12:22 »
Heard of OBD1 and OBD2, wasn't aware it went as high as 11. Thought it was just canbus after OBD2, however VCDS can connect via OBD2 and canbus. For what you're doing there shouldn't be any difference on connection types.

OBDeleven is a product like VCDS. You are confusing it with OBD1 and OBD2 which are the On Board Diagnostic port and software built into the car for accessing the diagnostics.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Rob1981

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2018, 06:26 »
I've used VCDS for years, coded a few bits and bobs on several VAG cars and used it to clear codes and work on the rear brakes.

Well worth it if you are going to stick to VAG products
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints