Author Topic: Whiteworm, who has suffered it on a mk7?  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Whiteworm, who has suffered it on a mk7?
« on: 15 December 2016, 10:47 »
Just out of interest for no particular reason, but who has had whiteworm issues on factory fit mk7 polished faced alloys?

Back in the mk5 days every other thread was on the subject, which I guess is not surprising owing to the huge polished area on Monza II's yet I've rarely read much on it since the 7 was launched.

Have the OEM wheel suppliers improved resistance to the affliction or are owners just so used to the problem now that they just get on with life and get replacement wheels at dealers or refurbishment if out of warranty?

I was looking at the configurator trying to decide whether the Marmite Brescias were actually quite nice or bloody ugly when i suddenly thought that despite it being winter I've not noticed a whiteworm complaint for ages.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Whiteworm, who has suffered it on a mk7?
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2016, 11:06 »
No problems with mine, perhaps more so in areas with lower temps and hence more gritting? Seems quite a few people have winter wheels/tyres.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 15 December 2016, 14:41 »
Slight problem near a wheelnut on just one of my wheels. I am sure it has occurred on a tyre change or service, so I doubt my 5 year warranty will cover this...
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline NewCsS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2016, 16:31 »
Are you using the right wheel cleaner you should use non acid base cleaner for diamond cut wheels, if not the acid will attack the finish. Also if you get a small chip from a stone water and dirt will get underneath the lacquer. Never use these hand car washers as you don't no what they are using to clean your car ☹️️

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2016, 18:37 »
My 2 year old GTI was showing clear signs of it on 2 wheels (otherwise unmarked) before I traded it in for the R. I know of other MK7 GTI's that definitely have it too and I remember seeing a used GTI on a dealers forecourt on the 19" Santiagos and that car was riddled with it.

I remember somebody posted on here not long ago with Santiago wheels that he'd got refurbished in powdercoat finish due to being riddled with white worm.

So yes... the problem is most definitely still out there.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 15 December 2016, 18:57 »
The MK7 Austin wheels are slightly more resistant to white worm as the diamond cut face has also got a layer of paint then clear lacquer. The Monzas and usually diamond cut alloys have only clear lacquer on top of the bare polished metal so when the clear lacquer is chipped the water gets behind it and reacts with the metal creating that milky effect.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2016, 21:20 »
I had one Austin wheel replaced under warranty due to white worm. No fuss from my dealer, this was last year so the car was approaching 3 years old.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2016, 00:02 »
The MK7 Austin wheels are slightly more resistant to white worm as the diamond cut face has also got a layer of paint then clear lacquer. The Monzas and usually diamond cut alloys have only clear lacquer on top of the bare polished metal so when the clear lacquer is chipped the water gets behind it and reacts with the metal creating that milky effect.

Hmmm you sure about that? I don't think the MK7 wheels are any more resistant. Diamond cut is diamond cut. A nice looking wheel when clean shiny and new... but impractical and a pig to mind/keep/refurb.

I think it was way more prevalent or reported more in the MK5 because people just weren't used to that finish on their wheels. The corrosion is inevitable even with the best care imo... but use of aggressive / acidic cleaners, use of filling station car washes, kerb / tyre fitter damage, etc, will accelerate it massively. Most of the posters on this forum are car enthusiasts who look after their cars and do none of the above - hence relatively little complaints about fecked wheels.

Wait till the MK7 is a couple more years old... check out a 2013 MK7 on a forecourt with big miles and generally unloved looking ... guaranteed the wheels will be in bits.
« Last Edit: 17 December 2016, 00:07 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline EricM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2016, 07:29 »
I bought a 30k miles 2013 Mk7 privately in September and the santiagos were ruined with white worm and the gloss black paint was all crazed.

The car had probably endured some of the heaviest winter gritting in the UK as it lived in rural Aberdeenshire.

Took it to my local VW dealer as the car still had warranty to ask about replacement wheels and they looked at me like I was wearing knickers on my head.

I then decided to get them powder coated and posted the results on here.

Offline boydeee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2016, 10:39 »
One of my wheels is starting to show minor whiteworm. It's a 14 plate 25k car which only spends 7 months on the Austins. They are well looked after with gyeon rim coating (whatever it's called) but I do have are few areas where it is beginning.
The wheels are flawless as I'm so fussy with them so it's not originating from a chip or kerbed area