Author Topic: Metro Vac Vac n Blo review  (Read 20170 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Metro Vac Vac n Blo review
« on: 17 January 2016, 18:03 »
Had a good chance to fully put my new Metro Vac n Blo through its paces now so thought I’d just post a little review of it up.  Well there’s nothing on the telly! 

The machine is a Metro Vac Vac n Blo, a dual powered combined vacuum and air dryer.  It has 4.0 Peak Horse Power, so pretty powerful and more than enough for all car detailing requirements.  The body of the machine is of steel construction.

Vac n Blo

Being a combined dryer/vacuum, initially I was a little concerned about the risk of dust particles from the vacuum function blowing back out onto the car when switching to using the dryer function.  However when the machine arrived, and after close inspection, it came clear that the two functions are completely separate.  One end of the machine is the vacuum and the other is the dryer.  Each has its own dedicated concertina hose and nozzles.  In addition when using the dryer you also unclip the dust bag and filter and set aside then clip back on after you’re finished (a matter of seconds to do).  So there is no risk of cross contamination at all. 

Fears allayed, I'll move onto the machine itself.   Of steel construction, it's surprisingly lightweight and has a detachable webbing strap which is really useful for moving it around the car. It has very small legs but no wheels so carrying it from A to B is more convenient.  The cable is reasonably long at 12 feet but an extension lead is still required. 

The Vac n Blo comes with 2 6ft concertina hoses, 2 x standard extension tubes, a drying nozzle, a set of standard size hoover tools.  It also comes with a set of mini tools, including mini hose and both straight and angled extension tubes.  There's also an attachment for inflating airbeds etc, and a mounting bracket for attaching the machine to a garage wall.  It is supplied with only 1 dust bag but these can be purchased in packs of 5 separately.

Tools

Normal tools - crevice, brush and carpet tools

Mini tools - mini hose, crevice, 2 x brush, mini straight and angled extension tubes

The dryer function.
Last week after washing the car, out came the Vac n Blo with the dedicated hose and tapered tube dryer nozzle attached.  I was initially just going to use it to dry off the main water traps on the car - wing mirrors, fuel cap, boot lid door sills, badges etc plus the wheels. However once I was in full swing I just carried out and dried off most of the car, using microfibre towels to blot what little water remaining.  The dryer power is impressive.  It’s more powerful than it’s excellent little brother, the Sidekick (which I have now sold), but works in exactly the same way.  Having used a Sidekick for the best part of a year, I'm familiar with the best method of using the blower - blowing the droplets the right way to avoid wetting areas of the car that are already dry.  So after a quick blast around the car with it, all nice and dry!  (sorry no pics of it in action)

Dryer attachment

All dried off

The vacuum function
Today I found time to give the inside a good clean. I confess the interior has not had a full clean for at least a month and was in dire need. A great opportunity to try the vacuum function and all the various tools.

I used the standard size tools to hoover dust and other debris from the inside -using the brush and crevice attachments to free the leather seats of embedded grime down the cracks, then moving onto the footwells, utilising the crevice and carpet tools in the footwells etc.  The suction in phenomenal!  The floor tool is especially effective and sucks up everything in it’s path with ease.  It made short work of dry mud, hair leaves and other general crud brought in off winter shoes. 

Next up were the mini tools.  These are brilliant. There are 2 different brush attachments and a crevice tool, and all are the perfect size for a multitude of dust zapping jobs, especially for the many little narrow recesses around the cabin, and, when used with the mini hose and extension tubes, are the business for reaching right down the sides of the front seats to rid them of any detritus.   

The suction of the vacuum is outstanding.  Fortunately there is the ability to reduce the suction by means of an air inlet located on the neck of each hose.  This is essential as in some cases the suction needs knocking back.  If I have one criticism it’s that the suction is so powerful that unless turned down the floor attachment welds itself to the carpet too well and is pulled off the end of the concertina hose. But a slight adjustment to the suction remedies this.

Tools in action

Mini tools

All done

r

I can’t praise this machine enough.  Though it’s quite an expensive item, at just shy of £200, I think it will prove to be a very worthwhile investment for me and anyone who likes to keep a clean and tidy car. 

Thanks for reading (if you haven't already fallen asleep! :laugh:).
« Last Edit: 17 January 2016, 21:09 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
Re: Metro Vac Vac n Blo review
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2016, 18:45 »
Stop making me jealous Bec!!! Of both the R and the Vac and Blo!!

Another fantastic review, looks like a great product and I wish I had the expendable cash to have one myself!!!

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2016, 18:56 »
Some of those attachments are mint!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2016, 21:21 »
Stop making me jealous Bec!!! Of both the R and the Vac and Blo!!

Another fantastic review, looks like a great product and I wish I had the expendable cash to have one myself!!!

Haha, sorry Dan.  :laugh: 

It's a brilliant piece of kit.  Up till this arrived, I've been using a combination of our household Dyson Animal (great for houses, unwieldy for car use) and a cordless handheld Dyson (rubbish).  The Vac n Blo knocks spots off the big Dyson.  The suction is on another level and it cleans the interior and footwell carpet so much more efficiently and in half the time of the Dyson.  And you don't have have to vigorously rub away at ingrained dirt so much less chance of the carpet getting 'fluffed' up.  And then there's the blower/dryer, which is fantastic for, not just water traps, but the whole car which means even less contact with the paintwork. Double the fun!!!

I'd been thinking about getting one of these for 2 years and I now I wish just bought it back then and not spent all that time missing out on it's merits.  :roll eyes:  If you are OCD about your car, this is the machine for you.  :afro: 

Do you like the new R mats?  Got them this week - custom spec and logo as impossible to find pre-logo'd ones.  Think they finish off the footwell nicely what with the change to blue LEDs too.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2016, 21:22 »
Some of those attachments are mint!

I love the mini tools Neil, they work a treat and there will be no excuse for stray dirt/dust now.  :laugh:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2016, 23:41 »
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(Excellent review madamoiselle, fantastic detailed pics and those attachments just blew me away! *excuse pun* that's a quality bit of kit for the certifiable amongst us, I'm genuinely impressed. Now to read it all again... )

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:laugh: :kiss:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2016, 23:48 »
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(Excellent review madamoiselle, fantastic detailed pics and those attachments just blew me away! *excuse pun* that's a quality bit of kit for the certifiable amongst us, I'm genuinely impressed. Now to read it all again... )

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:laugh: :kiss:

I used to like you.  :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :kiss:

I'm off to my padded cell now for a nap!  :grin:

Hope you're not working a night shift tonight, cos you're never gonna stay awake after reading my bedtime story.  :laugh:

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2016, 10:31 »
Great detail to your reviews Booth.

It sounds excellent.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2016, 16:18 »
Great detail to your reviews Booth.

It sounds excellent.

It is a great piece of kit. 

Probably too much detail, but if anyone was thinking of shelling out £££'s for one, it helps to know all the ins and outs of it before you decide.  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Walts

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2016, 17:04 »
Good write up, although I know have product envy having just bought the sidekick............. Hmmmmm, damn my OCD