Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 326644 times)

Offline Watts

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #2130 on: 13 June 2020, 16:19 »
I'd wondered in the past about snowfoaming first, maybe I'll give it a go next time.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2131 on: 13 June 2020, 19:09 »
I don’t do a pre-rinse before snowfoaming. I snowfoam first and then go round with a soft detailing brush to clean the fiddly bits on the car (grilles, door shuts, around fuel filler flap, exhaust tips, around the wheel bolt covers, the recessed parts of the wheels, brake callipers etc.) while the snow foam is doing its thing.

By the time I’ve finished those fiddly bits, the snow foam is well on the way to sliding off the paintwork. I‘ve usually got enough snow foam mix in the lance bottle to give it a second snowfoaming and leave it to dwell again while I fill my buckets and get my wash mitts and drying towels ready. Rinse off the snow foam and I’m ready to go, and pretty much all dirt is off the car before I start my usual three bucket wash.
2016 Pocket Rocket Polo GTI 5dr manual, Blue Silk, Jacara tartan seats, Sports Performance Kit, Climate Control, Convenience Pack, Parking Pack, VW Motorsport Alloys in anthracite.
Gone but not forgotten; 2011 Golf GTD; 5dr Carbon Grey, Grey Jacara tartan seats, 18" VW Rotary alloys in Anthracite, Bi-xenons, Parking Sensors, RCD510+Dynaudio, Luxury Pack.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2132 on: 14 June 2020, 08:31 »
I had seen it discussed on other Forums, and thought that it was worth a try, on the basis of "what could possibly go wrong"?

I just left it to dwell, but SR's method above seems to make perfect sense, so I'll give that a try next time.

Offline Adam T7

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2133 on: 14 June 2020, 13:59 »
Each to their own, but I always rinse first based on the thought that anything that softens the crud has to be good news - just a thought, as I said, each to their own.
MY2019 GTI 5 Door, PP, DSG, Indium Grey.

Offline Watts

• I live here
« Reply #2134 on: 14 June 2020, 17:06 »
Each to their own, but I always rinse first based on the thought that anything that softens the crud has to be good news - just a thought, as I said, each to their own.

My thought too but on the other hand the snowfoam might hold on and soak in better on a dry car? Perhaps a chicken and egg situation. I'll try it and see what I prefer.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2135 on: 14 June 2020, 19:04 »

My thought too but on the other hand the snowfoam might hold on and soak in better on a dry car? Perhaps a chicken and egg situation. I'll try it and see what I prefer.

That was my thinking on snowfoaming a dry car - better cling-ability (is that a word? :grin:). Also, as I usually double snow foam, any dirt should get softened pretty well the second time around if it hasn’t the first time.

During the winter months, I have occasionally done a pre-rinse before applying snow foam if my car is caked in dirt, but it’s the exception rather than the norm, as it’s very rarely caked in dirt.

IMO of the two methods - pre-rinse or no pre-rinse - there’s no right or wrong method. It’s what works best for you ;smiley:.
2016 Pocket Rocket Polo GTI 5dr manual, Blue Silk, Jacara tartan seats, Sports Performance Kit, Climate Control, Convenience Pack, Parking Pack, VW Motorsport Alloys in anthracite.
Gone but not forgotten; 2011 Golf GTD; 5dr Carbon Grey, Grey Jacara tartan seats, 18" VW Rotary alloys in Anthracite, Bi-xenons, Parking Sensors, RCD510+Dynaudio, Luxury Pack.