Author Topic: Mother of all paint sealant sprays!  (Read 4236 times)

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
Mother of all paint sealant sprays!
« on: 19 May 2014, 16:33 »
OK, after cleaning the car at the weekend and realising the Sonax stuff i have in the garage isnt technically a sealant I think its about time I buy some. Has to be in a spray as I am lazy and also applying pressure and rubbing in a tub of stuff usually just results in me scratching summat.

So, what is the mother of all protectorant sealant like stuff, I see this CV2 or whatever floating around this site, pretty sure that was a Citroen my mother used to drive, but does it provide the ULTIMATE protection possible?
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
Re: Mother of all paint sealant sprays!
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2014, 16:44 »
Which Sonax have you got? The Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Detailer is a proper sealent as far as I know, and has better durability than the c2v3. Source: I read the 300 page thread on detalingworld... lol.  :shocked:

I'm using the Sonax Hybird NPT which is also a spray but even longer wearing, but will top it up with the Xtreme Brilliant spray when I get some. It was very very easy to apply to paint, glass (not windscreen), alloys, plastic... beading is silly!

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2014, 16:47 »
hmmmm pretty sure thats what ive got, http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-sprays/sonax-xtreme-brilliant-shine-detailer-750ml/prod_1178.html but it never in that description says sealant, so i just assumed it was a quick shine sort of thing that provides basic protection. Could be wrong tho.

However now i have you and ive read this before, it says "Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer cleans lightly soiled paint without scratching" so does that mean, for instance i cleaned the car saturday and now its covered in a bit of dust, can i just apply some more of this and wipe it off??

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2014, 18:36 »
I guess it's not called a sealant as it's a quick detailer. Technically, I'm not too sure what the difference is - although the 'sealant' in the range is supposed to last longer - so that may be the difference. The sealant being what I used:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/sonax-xtreme-protect-shine-hybrid-npt/prod_1200.html

On the detailingworld thread a lot of people used Brilliant Shine Detailer directly on to paint with good results, so nothing wrong with doing that. I would just keep it topped up now and then.

To answer your question, I think yes you can - but I wouldn't. The dust might have grit etc! What you could do is give the car a good rinsing with the hosepipe and then use the Detailer with a microfibre to dry the car. Should be as easy as that!

As long as you top up the Detailer now and then it should be all you need! I'm going to get some in the next month or so to top up my car. Need to get the interior protected too...  :whistle:

C2v3 is very good too, but on comparison the Sonax was more durable when exposed to chemicals etc, and has better water beading.

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2014, 18:42 »
Right ok I'll keep using this stuff then and save my pennies, cheers frank

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2014, 19:08 »
Cool mate, glad to save you some quids!

If anyone is interested, this is the thread where the Sonax is compared to to c2v3 etc.
http://www.detailingworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295795

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2014, 11:48 »
Just to add my 2p on this one, the Sonax BSD is pretty superb on it's own, so easy to use and offers great protection, however, their Hybrid NPT which comes in an aerosol can is even better. Can be found on eBay for about £13 I think... I've protected 8 cars with it (including 2 x Range Rovers) and there is loads left in the tin.

Wonderful stuff, can be topped up with BSD when required.
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2014, 11:54 »
ooooh aerosol spray, that sounds even lazier :smiley:

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2014, 13:27 »
Haha! It is very easy! This one applys more like a traditional product though in that you apply it with an applicator in overlapping motions, and leave it to cure for 3-4 minutes before buffing. When buffing, it is quite a 'tacky' product and not effortless to buff like Brilliant Shine Detailer, or C2v3.

Worth it though!
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2014, 14:29 »
sounds good ill give it go thanks