Author Topic: Questions/checks when collecting your GTI/D....  (Read 12444 times)

Offline marnie

• Not said much yet
Re: Questions/checks when collecting your GTI/D....
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2014, 15:50 »
P.S. Make sure there is nothing behind!
Mk7 GTI 5 Dr

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2014, 16:33 »
There are a few good checklists on the Mk6 section

The points won't all be relevant but you could pull the stuff that is important / crucial to yourself.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=134033.msg1204238
Checklist :

Cover plates in the front wheel arches been fitted
Wheel nut covers
Wheel centre badges
Locking wheel bolt key and tools in the boot
Ipod & usb leads
Check reg document has correct numbers of the car on chassis etc. All the options are there and working.
Then usual, paint quality, dents, marks, colour difference, wheel marks, interior marks, panel gaps.
Make sure under rear of the car is fine as its not unknown due to the 55psi storage pressure(check tyre pressures too) for it to slide and fall off the transporter.
Check the oil and water and not left it at shipping levels etc etc.
Ask for a copy of the PDI and work your own way through it.
Full Spacesaver Sparewheel in boot - (UK Spec.)
Check the condition of all the bodywork, wheels and interior, fog lights for stone chips (if its got cosmetic damage its going to be down to you once you drive away).
Marks on wheels from lashing ratchet strap from the transporter lorry.
Look very carefully for any small dents or chips. Crouch low and look along the sides of the vehicle and all around for anything out of the ordinary. If the car is outside and it has been raining tell the dealer you will be inspecting the car as soon as it is dry as you wouldn't see anything small if wet.
Check panel alignment
Check the fit of the doors (front especially) up at the top of the window towards the rear.
Have a good look at the seats and the fit of all the trim inside.
Check the transport blocks have been removed from the suspension springs
Headlight settings are on UK setting (ie headlights are not always on with ignition)
Full Alarm and Immobiliser (check by locking someone in the car, keep still for a minute, and then move arms around) (Import only)
English Manuals in leatherbound GTi holder (UK Spec)
Make sure all other documents are in the vehicle wallet.
Radio security code has been inputted and you have the number etc
Make sure there are no stray rags/cloths in the engine compartment.
Make sure they have filled in and stamped the PDI part of the service book
Bottle opener in the centre compartment (in between gear stick and armrest), dealers like to keep these.
Smoking Pack/Non smoking pack (which ever you ordered)
Check VIN numbers match between the car and documentation
Make sure you are set up for the service regime you want (Longlife or time & distance)
If there is no top up oil in a little bag in the boot ask for some
Check the bolt caps have been inserted in the holes on the wheels
Drop the windows right down, and then put them back up on auto (so push/pull knob the double click and don't hold it).  Make sure the windows don't drop when they're about an inch from shut.
Key adapter for locking wheel nuts (should be in the boot, with the spare wheel)
Two keys with remote locking functions, plus plastic key tag - with serial number, for ordering replacement key if necessary

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163067.msg1513164
A.   Pre-Delivery:

1.   Confirm price to pay is £[   ].
2.   Make sure car is registered in [   ] name with registration no. [          ] and that registration address is correct.
3.   Check that tax disc is for 12 months.
4.   Check 7 day free insurance from VW or insure with Aviva.
5.   Make sure car comes with a full tank of petrol.
6.   Take (i) camera (ii) VW new car and accessories brochures (iii) DVD, CD and Ipod Touch.
7.   Check settings for the following:
(a)   No daytime running lights
(b)   Door Locking: (i) doors should not automatically lock when the car is driven off, and (ii) on pressing the key fob to lock/unlock the doors, lights to flash, together with an audible warning (ie a small beeping sound)

B.   Items to be Delivered with Car:
1.   Two keys with remote locking functions, plus plastic key tag - with serial number, for ordering replacement key if necessary.
2.   English manuals in leatherbound GTi holder (UK Spec) and all other documents are in the vehicle wallet.
3.   IPod lead.
4.   USB lead.
5.   Bottle opener in the centre compartment (in between gearstick and armrest).
6.   Locking wheel bolt key and tools in the boot.
7.   If there is no top up oil in a little bag in the boot ask for some. [Not supplied]
8.   VW Customer Service Items as follows:

(a)   VW fixed price service plan (£250)
(b)   GTI carpet mat set (PN ZGB 1K2 061 225 GA)(£70.50)
(c)   Rubber floor mats - front and back (PN 1K2 061 501 A04 1 and 1K0 061 511 041)(£30.50 and 26.00)
(d)   Flexible loadliner (PN 1K0 061 160)(£41.00)
(e)   Headlight protectors (PN 2GB 5K0 072 101)(£41.00)   
(f)   Black leather CD holder (PN ZGB 414 140 608 0)(£11.00)
(g)   Silver logo key ring (PN ZGB 418 149 906 0)(£4.00)

C.   Matters to be Checked on Collection:
1.   Check that car is 5 door, 2.0 litre TSI GTI with DSG in Reflex Silver.
2.   Check registration number vs tax disc, insurance certificate and DVLA form.
3.   Check VIN numbers match between the car and documentation.
4.   Make sure dealer has filled in and stamped the PDI part of the service book.
5.   Ask for a copy of the PDI and work your own way through it.
6.   Check delivery mileage (_________ miles)

7.   Check all optional extras:

(a)   DSG
(b)   ACC (Adaptive Chassis Control)
(c)   Cruise Control
(d)   DVD Navigation (take DVD, CD and Ipod Touch to test.  Check radio reception and set radio stations)
(e)   Reversing Camera
(f)   Dynaudio with 8 speakers
(g)   Multifunction Steering Wheel
(h)   Leather seats
(i)   Winter Pack (headlight washers, heated front seats, heated windscreen washer jets and warning light to show low windscreen washer level)
(j)   Luxury Pack (electrically foldable door mirrors and reverse activated kerb view adjustment on passenger side)

D.   Engine:
1.   Make sure there are no stray rags/cloths in the engine compartment.
2.   Make sure you are set up for the service regime you want (time & distance).
3.   Check the oil, water and other fluids and that they are not left at shipping levels.
E.   Interior:
1.   Have a good look at the seats and the fit of all the trim inside.
F.   Bodywork:
1.   Look very carefully for any small dents or chips. Crouch low and look along the sides of the vehicle and all around for anything out of the ordinary. If the car is outside and it has been raining, tell the dealer you will be inspecting the car as soon as it is dry as you wouldn't see anything small if wet.
2.   Check the fit of the doors (front especially) up at the top of the window towards the rear.
3.   Check panel alignment.
4.   Check the rear hatch top corners the covers can scratch this location.
5.   Check the blanking grommits are in the front wheel arch liners stopping water getting to the foglights.
6.   Check under the rear of the car too as it is known for them to slip on the transporter.

G.   Lights and Electrical:
1.   Check climate control.
2.   Test full, half beam, indicators, fog lights, hazard warning and interior lights.
3.   Ensure that headlight settings are on UK setting (ie no daytime running lights).
4.   Check radio security code has been input and that code has been supplied.
5.   Test alarm and immobiliser (check by locking someone in the car, keep still for a minute, and then move arms around).
6.   Drop the windows right down, and then put them back up on auto (so push/pull knob the double click and don't hold it).  Make sure the windows don't drop when they're about an inch from shut.
7.   Check electric wing mirror operation.

H.   Wheels and Tyres:
1.   Check tyres for damage.
2.   Check tyre pressures (2.6 bar/38 psi) once they have cooled down - they leave the factory at 55 psi (set for long term storage).
3.   Check for spare wheel in boot.
4.   Look for marks on wheels from lashing ratchet strap from the transporter.
5.   Check the transport blocks have been removed from the suspension springs.
6.   Check the bolt caps have been inserted in the holes on the wheels.
7.   Check that cover plates in the front wheel arches been fitted.
8.   Check that wheel centre badges have been fitted.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=260023.0

A.   Things to check before pickup:
1.   Confirm price (check dynaudio has been added and service plan is £199 down from £249)
2.   Check main insurance and GAP insurance
3.   Make sure that you get to choose the number plate
4.   Make sure the old car is part ex'd and V5C is signed
5.   Take CD(s) and 30-pin to lightening converter when collecting
6.   Ask for stickers to be removed from rear window

B.   Items to be delivered:
1.   3 door car
2.   Manual
3.   Deep Black Pearl paint (NOT FLAT BLACK)
4.   Performance pack (GTI logo on brake calipers)
5.   Two keys (make sure they have GTI engraved plastic pieces and both open and start the car)
6.   English manuals
7.   V5C Document and 12 Month Tax (both will be posted out later but you should get a letter to say the tax is in the post)
8.   iPod lead
9.   Locking wheel nut and tools in the boot
10.  Service plan (ask about service intervals)
11.  Full Tank of Fuel
12.  Dynaudio (Sub in the spare wheel and marking on tweeters located in the pillars)
13.  Set of mats

C.   Quality control:
1.   Check delivery mileage and reset if dealership hasn't already (hold mileage reset button for 30 seconds)
2.   Check the oil, water and other fluids and that they are not left at shipping levels
3.   Look very carefully for any small dents or chips. Crouch low and look along the sides of the vehicle
4.   Make sure dealer has filled in and stamped the PDI part of the service book
5.   Check panel alignment
6.   Test full, half beam, indicators, fog lights, hazard warning and interior lights
7.   Test rear lights and make sure all 4 sections are working
8.   Check tyres for damage, pressures and the spare in the boot
9.   Check the transport blocks have been removed from the suspension springs
10.  Check the bolt caps and centre badges have been fitted on the wheels
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2014, 16:44 »
How does lifting off the throttle benefit the car/engine?
« Last Edit: 13 May 2014, 16:46 by TheCarMadDad »
2014 Mk7 Golf GTD 5dr | Tornado Red | Keyless Entry | Climate Comfort Screen > Which means I also have the ATP. Also fitted with DTUK Stage 2 box ...Loving every second behind the wheel!

Previous...
2008 Toyota Prius T Spirit (fastest 0-15mph car I have ever owned :p )
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SW
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2014, 17:23 »
Wow! That just about covers everything lol. Thanks very much
2014 Mk7 Golf GTD 5dr | Tornado Red | Keyless Entry | Climate Comfort Screen > Which means I also have the ATP. Also fitted with DTUK Stage 2 box ...Loving every second behind the wheel!

Previous...
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline marnie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2014, 18:49 »
Have a read of this and do what you think best.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Mk7 GTI 5 Dr

Offline HK Phooey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2014, 18:50 »
WOW, that's a comprehensive check list! Always good to check the body work thoroughly - on my Wife last car we found a scratch on the front bumper above the number plate - looked like a streak of polish.

As for running in (and I know this can be a contentious issue) I can only go on experience, but both my Wife's car's have been driven 100 miles+ back from the dealer on the motorway and neither ever used any oil. And my last car was in Italy within three weeks of me collecting it - 2,000 miles mostly motorways through France/Switzerland/Italy using cruise control etc. 50,000 on the clock now, never had to top the oil up even after a recent track day.

I keep it below 4000rpm for the first 500 miles and then gradually increase the revs up too 1,000 miles. Be gentle on the brakes/tyres/gearbox/clutch to give everything a chance to bed in. I can remember the 'old' days when cars used running in oil for the first 1,000 miles.

Offline HK Phooey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2014, 19:59 »
Have a read of this and do what you think best.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'm no expert - but from the production line footage I've watched don't the car manufacturers tend to run each car up through the rev range on a set of rollers before they leave the factory?
« Last Edit: 13 May 2014, 20:11 by HK Phooey »

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2014, 21:39 »
Another question... should the GTD come with the metallic bits on the key fob as standard?

Previous...
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2014, 21:44 »
Another question... should the GTD come with the metallic bits on the key fob as standard?

Yes. They should be fitted at PDI by the dealership.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2014, 21:50 »
And if not I guess I can politely ask them to be fitted? From what I've read on here a lot of dealers forget to fit them...

Previous...
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R