Author Topic: Rear suspension noise  (Read 12784 times)

Offline CR4ZYHOR5E

• Not said much yet
Rear suspension noise
« on: 10 May 2014, 10:44 »
Anyone get a hollow knocking sound coming from rear suspension at low speed. Sounds like there is a piece of cork attached by a piece of string to something in the suspension. Not overly loud but definitely noticeable.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Re: Rear suspension noise
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2014, 12:49 »
That'll most likely be the balls on the end of the parcel shelf strings, they hang down when the boot is closed, used to be really noticable on the mk6 but i haven't noticed it on the 7 up to now.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline wobbler

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2014, 00:38 »
Anyone get a hollow knocking sound coming from rear suspension at low speed. Sounds like there is a piece of cork attached by a piece of string to something in the suspension. Not overly loud but definitely noticeable.
There is a TPI from VW about this issue. My car has been at the dealers for this and they are waiting for new shock absorbers. They tell me it's a common problem for GTI and GTD's.
Golf GTD 5 Door Manual in Night Blue with Dynaudio and Winter Pack

Offline andrewparker

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2014, 13:29 »
Mine is in today for this. My noise seems to be coming mainly from the drivers side.

I was told VW have this week brought out a redesigned shock absorber so it's likely my car will get those.

They showed me the computer with 3 other people booked in for today with the same issue.
Current – Mk7 Golf R, Night Blue, 5dr, Manual / Mk7.5 Golf R, Indium Grey, Estate, DSG

Offline andrewparker

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2014, 14:54 »
So I've just been told that ordering of the replacement shock absorbers is on hold. No explanation as to why.
Current – Mk7 Golf R, Night Blue, 5dr, Manual / Mk7.5 Golf R, Indium Grey, Estate, DSG

Offline wobbler

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2014, 22:50 »
Dealer rang me today to tell me the new parts were in. I've booked my car in next week for work.

Offline andrewparker

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 08 July 2014, 09:52 »
Frustratingly my dealer is claiming these replacement parts are still on stop and they are unable to order them from VW. 3 weeks now and they still can't provide any more information other than that it is a supply chain problem.

Offline karlak

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2014, 11:39 »
My dealer has "ordered" new parts over two weeks ago.  Still waiting for them to arrive.
Ordered 06/01/14.  5DR GTD DSG, Red. Park Assist | Rear Camera | Keyless entry | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | Pro Nav.

Offline wobbler

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 08 July 2014, 16:04 »
I have done 800 miles now on the new shocks and no issues so the fix seems to work. Now they just need to sort out the crappy wipers and i will be happy.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 08 July 2014, 18:12 »
I've got a squeeking noise coming from both rear shocks but mines got DCC. Front is noisy again over slow bumps.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.