Author Topic: Discover Pro Sat Nav - ?  (Read 19580 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Discover Pro Sat Nav - ?
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2014, 09:19 »
Would be interested to know how you got number 2 working if you don't have advanced telephone prep?? With advanced tel prep your supposed to be able to use your phone to tether it to the nav pro to become a WiFi hotspot but that doesn't seem to work either.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2014, 11:11 »
I do not have a rsap phone so cannot tether it to display Text Messages or Google Maps.  Unfortunately Nokia Lumia with Windows mobile does not support rsap at present.  I have spent many wasted hours discovering this fact.  Even more of a pain is that Nokia used to support rsap but since taking on Windows mobile do not any more. So the older Nokia phones with Symbian OS will have more functionality with Nav Pro than the newer Windows Mobile Lumia's.  Damn you Microsoft. 

Anyway back to topic. I am able to tether my phone via Bluetooth to the Nav Pro and I do get all the usual phone functionality, except displaying Text messages on screen.  From what I could read on all the stuff VW have written about displaying text and google maps on Nav Pro as long as your phone is rsap which can be used via bluetooth from I can gather you will get all the extra functionality with the Nav Pro.

To confirm this we need to hear from someone on this forum who has a rsap enabled phone.

For those that don't know rsap means (remote Sim Access Protocol)  Apparently even iphone's dont't come with it standard. 

It seems a litte bit of an oversight to not include something like rsap in mobiles and as a result remove a lot of functionality when connecting it to your car.  A lot of manufacturers like VW, Audi etc,. rely on rsap but phone manufacturers are omitting it from the phones.  So all the extra stuff you could do on your Nav Pro is void because your phone will not support it. 

Maybe we should create a database of phones which support rsap and allow full functionality with Nav Pro including Google Maps. I feel VW should have had small print on their promotional material for Nav Pro stating the extra functions on Nav Pro require rsap to work. 

In regards to tethering the phone to the Nav Pro as a Wifi Hotspot, This is the same as using your phone directly as a wifi hotspot and tethering other devices to it.  Which I can do.  I can connect up to 8 devices to my phone as a Wifi Hotspot and use my 3G connection as the source which is the same idea, so I do not need to access this feature of Nav Pro, but it would be nice to be able to do this as well, and I suppose if the phone is tethered to advanced phone prep the signal would be stronger with the aerial boosting the 3G signal?

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2014, 12:18 »
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 06 April 2014, 13:01 »
That is odd?  So why did I see that rsap was required to get certain functions to work on the VW literature for text messages and Google Maps? 

VW seem to have created a really awkward vague scenario for pairing your phone to the Nav Pro to get the most out of it.

The link you posted Jimble suggest the following

"To get RSAP you need the Premium Telephone kit which is available in every market except the UK. In the UK only the advanced telephone kit is available with the induction box to try and improve the phone signal".

This seems to say the Premium Phone Kit provides rsap to get full functionality from the phone, However we cannot get it in this country, as usual.

Different phones have different versions of the HFP, (hands free protocol) (which is what UK Mk7s connect through) they offer different functionality but they all still rely on the phone's own aerial, unlike RSAP. No one at VW UK seems to know why they don't offer the Premium kit but I think it is either an attempt to encourage people to buy an Audi that does offer it or because someone at VW thinks people only buy iPhones.

This seems to say for standard functionality MK7 Golfs use Hands Free Protocols. Which is why my Phone can connect and provide standard features to the Nav Pro.

I have the advanced telephone kit and to get any improvement in phone signal with my Galaxy S3 requires you to take the phone out of its case first and even then its very marginal. I ended up getting VW to refund me the cost of the advanced telephone kit and I intend to get an aftermarket premium (RSAP) telephone kit fitted.

This part of the post is the most interesting as it suggests rsap maybe required and the only way of obtaining it is fit an aftermarket Premium Phone Kit.

I don't know if I am reading this wrong, but it looks as if rsap may be required for advanced features and for run of the mill standard features of your phone on Nav Pro your phone and Nav Pro will use Hands Free Protocols.

It seems UK VW may be short changing us yet again and other countries may be getting more out of Nav Pro than we are able to in this country?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 06 April 2014, 21:28 »
@brenbo - how can I get my phone to be a WiFi hotspot for the nav pro? I've tried but can't get anything to connect. I'm also looking into retro fitting the premium phone set up.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 07 April 2014, 12:52 »
Your phone would not be a wifi hotspot for the nav pro.  The way I take it, is the Phone tethers (wired/wireless via bluetooth) to the Nav Pro so the 3G on your sim card can provide an internet connection for the Nav Pro to act as a central hub like a router for multiple devices to connect to via Wifi.  This is where the connection debate comes in. I am thinking it is all to do with rsap over Bluetooth connection yet again.  I have found this post on another forum which backs this statement

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2525

It states the following:

There are 2 types of optional bluetooth for the mk7:

Comfort bluetooth (called advanced bluetooth in uk). This has the pocket in the armrest with a signal amplifier connected to the roof aerial. This boosts phone signal. This has no WLAN capability.

Premium bluetooth. The car has it's own 3G receiver. It takes over your phone's sim's details over RSAP or if your phone does not support RSAP a SIM card can be inserted between the 2 SD cards in the glovebox. The car then creates a wifi hotspot in the car. If you also specced Car Net with Discover Pro you get Google Search and Google Earth on the Pro Nav.

It appears, that unless you have rsap enabled phone and/or Nav Pro or Premium Telephone Prep, there maybe no way of using your Nav Pro as a Hotspot.  Hence I go back to my point of VW not making it clear about rsap being required for certain features on Nav Pro, and UK maybe getting a lesser version of the Nav Pro unit.

Has anyone got their UK Spec Nav Pro to utilise all features including Wifi Hotspot, Google Earth etc?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 07 April 2014, 18:44 »
Going off what you've found and said Brenbo Google maps etc will only work with premium phone kit but apparently carnet isn't active for VW users.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 07 April 2014, 19:41 »
Try this link to answer your questions.

http://volkswagen-carnet.com/int/en/start.html

go to the GTI page and read the small print at the bottom.  It states you require rsap bluetooth Phone and extent of availability for Car-Net varies between Countries, i.e. unless someone in the UK has it and can tell me otherwise (hope so as I really want it myself) UK does not have Car-Net available for the GTI, only the e-UP.

I have now confirmed Car-Net is not available here in UK, if you go to the Car-Net website link above and change the country then go to the 'I am interested in a model with Car-Net' button the models available differ dependent on the country you select.  For example as stated already we only have the e-up and other countries have the GTI with Car-Net available. 

Some of us may have been mislead in to thinking we could use Car-Net in UK and do all those extra amazing things while the cold harsh reality is we have a watered down experience of Nav Pro compared to other countries. Even though Nav Pro is still a great unit to have installed in your GTI/GTD I am starting to feel a little short changed with what is missing in UK.

Someone please prove me wrong  :huh:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 08 April 2014, 18:31 »
No I think your spot on brenbo. When I read the spec sheets before I bought the car I was under the impression car net would be available in the UK and my rsap phone could be the WiFi hotspot etc etc. Along the way though vw chopped and changed the specification available in the UK. Seems strange that Audi in the UK do have it yet vw don't.

Offline Happy Hippo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 09 April 2014, 09:03 »
Personally I feel completely misled by VW UK over this and had I known I would have bought the A3 instead. When I purchased my GTD it was on the VW.com website that the GTD and GTI would be the first cars in the UK to have carnet which was one of the main reasons I upgraded to pro. The other function carnet offers is a far better internet traffic data for avoiding jams.

All Samsung. galaxy S3/4/5s have RSAP and you can get an app for most Android phones that don't have it. RSAP is so fundamentally better than HFP, I am amazed that all decent phones don't have it. There might also be health benefits as you don't have a high powered wireless device in your pocket or about your person the phone just has to make a low powered Bluetooth connection to the car. I'm just hoping that aftermarket installers in the UK will be able to offer the premium module very soon, if anyone has any suggestions?
Golf GTD, ordered May 2013, BW41: 5dr Manual, Oryx White, Discovery Pro, Leather, Dynaudio..