Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362531 times)

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
I used the chain replacement kit listed on Deutsche Auto Parts as a rough guide to what I should expect to be replaced and they do not include timing gears in their kit. I asked LVS to check for any other worn parts that might need replacing while there was access to them so I can only assume that the gears themselves were fine to be reused.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2017, 11:32 by seabrook132 »

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline joe6

• I live here
I used the chain replacement kit listed on Deutsche Auto Parts as a rough guide to what I should expect to be replaced and they do not include timing gears in their kit. I asked LVS to check for any other worn parts that might need replacing while there was access to them so I can only assume that the gears themselves were fine to be reused.

Thanks for the info. Interested in your new block 93 values when you get them. Will be taking mine over the week end. I am based near Lincoln so it was also of interested where you took your car.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
Checked block 93 this morning and I’m now reading -1.36 with the new chain on, so back in to the good zone according to the briskoda thread. Remember to check the value at idle when the engine is fully warm.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline joe6

• I live here
Fantastic reading. New chain has worked well. Would be really pleased with that value. Thanks for the reminder about warm engine. Been struck down with manflu  :sick: so the test will have to wait a bit.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline joe6

• I live here
Checked block 93 this morning and I’m now reading -1.36 with the new chain on, so back in to the good zone according to the briskoda thread. Remember to check the value at idle when the engine is fully warm.

Finally got out today to go shopping and did the VCDS check at the same time. Block 93 value is -1.78 at idle with a warm engine (90 degrees C) and revs 760rpm. Seems I am OK at present but might get the tensioner visually checked out through the inspection hole to see how many teeth are showing at the next service.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here

Finally got out today to go shopping and did the VCDS check at the same time. Block 93 value is -1.78 at idle with a warm engine (90 degrees C) and revs 760rpm. Seems I am OK at present but might get the tensioner visually checked out through the inspection hole to see how many teeth are showing at the next service.

Sweet, looks like a healthy chain then. Deffo worth the physical inspection through the hole to check the tensioner extension and revision. Block 93 is only an indicator of chain wear as far as I understand it, it won't help in checking for possible tensioner issues.

Offline joe6

• I live here
Yes pleased with the figures. Thanks for the heads up on the tensioner Seabrook132. Not long to the service so will get the tensioner checked out then. Might replace it for peace of mind because I think mine is the original.

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
So i think it has finally happened to me :(

Got the rattle on startup and sounds like a diesel engine. Had RAC out and they plugged cpu and got can’t remember the exact codes but guy said the time is off which might suggest problem with the timing chain.

Weird thing is a lot of people noticed the problem for the first time when starting their cars. I was on the M1, dropping down to 4th and then when I put my foot down there was no power. Still managed to drive but nowhere near the acceleration. Only when I got home I noticed the engine sounded like a tractor.

Going to book it in with VW tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice on how I should approach them? I bought it from this dealer two years ago and have had a few issues with it already. Engine still started so I’m guessing it’s not a total rebuild? Hoping it’s not as bad as that!

Thanks

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet

Got the rattle on startup and sounds like a diesel engine. Had RAC out and they plugged cpu and got can’t remember the exact codes but guy said the time is off which might suggest problem with the timing chain.

Weird thing is a lot of people noticed the problem for the first time when starting their cars. I was on the M1, dropping down to 4th and then when I put my foot down there was no power. Still managed to drive but nowhere near the acceleration. Only when I got home I noticed the engine sounded like a tractor.

Going to book it in with VW tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice on how I should approach them? I bought it from this dealer two years ago and have had a few issues with it already. Engine still started so I’m guessing it’s not a total rebuild? Hoping it’s not as bad as that!

Thanks

Check out page 56 on this thread, your symptoms sound very similar to mine a few years ago. My chain had stretched, required a new chain (revised part), tensioner  (revised part), guides  etc etc.  Also see page 14 for my previous tensioner problem a few years earlier with part numbers etc.

Good luck

Mike
« Last Edit: 02 January 2018, 10:01 by mikegti77 »
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet

Thanks

Check out page 56 on this thread, your symptoms sound very similar to mine a few years ago. My chain had stretched, required a new chain (revised part), tensioner  (revised part), guides  etc etc.  Also see page 14 for my previous tensioner problem a few years earlier with part numbers etc.

Good luck

Mike

Thanks Mike, vw mechanic looked at it today and confirmed stretched chain and the tensioner has gone - just like yours. Going to give me a quote in the morning of the work but already know labour is £140 per hour!!! Said need to check if anything else was damaged. I just want to get rid now, very bad experience of buying a used VW