Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362493 times)

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
I fitted the updated tensioner in a morning which although a bit of a faff, would be a lot easier if I were to do it again as I now know the method rather than working a lot out on the fly. It's a £300 job, so on a par with a cam belt.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here

big leap from £300 talked about on here.

London prices mate and garages taking advantage of your fear.

£300-400 people have been quoted in the Yorkshire area, can be all done in 2 hours, so god know where they get £800 from.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Dubbit

• Not said much yet
I think you are right they are just capitalising on my fear. I will try a few smaller places for a quote.

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
Dubbit avoid VW they're a bunch of .....
They dont want to acknowledge the problem and said come in for a diagnostic (at 150 per hour) first. If they see a problem they'll change it for about 1k. VW CS didn't want to commit to whether they would contribute or not if there was a fault (my car has only been serviced by VW). I heard at most they would contribute for parts which is peanuts compared to what their labour charges are.

I got several quotes, one from Brunswick Garage in Arnos Grove at around 300 and one from total vag in Leighton buzzard for around 250. The ones in Nw London were around 400. Finally went with Brunswick garage due to convenience (it was going to cost me 40 ish to and from Leighton buzzard) and pleased with the service.

Offline Dubbit

• Not said much yet

I got several quotes, one from Brunswick Garage in Arnos Grove at around 300 and one from total vag in Leighton buzzard for around 250. The ones in Nw London were around 400. Finally went with Brunswick garage due to convenience (it was going to cost me 40 ish to and from Leighton buzzard) and pleased with the service.

Hi Gaurav,

I phoned them (Brunswick) & they quoted me near 500 + 100 for the chain to be replaced which he recommended.
I told them you paid just over 300 for the tensioner but didnt have your details to check..
Wondered if you could pm me about this, maybe I can get them to come down a bit in price.

Cheers,

C.

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
Tried to PM you but I think you don't have enough posts to be PMed.

So looking back at the invoice they charged me 370 (that includes 40 for oil change). You could combine it with a service if you aren't bothered about it being a non VW garage. The invoice number is 1022085 if that helps?

600 sounds way off and it seems they're capitalising on it!

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
I know its still early to tell, but I wonder after all the revised parts (tensioner, magnet, housing etc) how confident they are that the latest revisions will stop the timing chain slipping / rattles on start up.

I think I have every possible part changed under warranty, but im still in tough place, keep or sell !!!

MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline JIMMYBRODIE

• Not said much yet
Has anyone got any experince of these? Could be a potential problem solver!

http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3619

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
Its a lot more expensive than buying the same parts from TPS, who seem to sell genuine VW parts at a real good price. Google 'em.

Offline JIMMYBRODIE

• Not said much yet
Is the TPS product an uprated unit?

My thoughts really are that if there is an aftermarket unti that is stronger I would install it. Rather than just installing a standard one leaving potentially the same problem.

Thanks