Author Topic: Some advice please.  (Read 1020 times)

Offline JWebb

• Not said much yet
Some advice please.
« on: 14 November 2013, 18:02 »
Hi All,

The last couple of weeks havn't been great and the Golf has turned into a bit of a money pit,

I have to buy a few more bits before it'll be sorted but I'm now considering buying something a bit newer. as theres just problem after problem.

I've got around £5000-£6000, it needs to be 5 door and return good MPG, ideally nothing below 40, so possibly a diesel?

I've found a few mk6 golfs and a few Audi A4's around the 2006 age.

Is there anything else you'd recommend that I can look at?

Cheers,

Jack.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2013, 18:19 by JWebb »

Offline beppe2672

• Here all the time
Re: Some advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2013, 18:07 »
the mk5 golf gt tdi 170's aint a bad car, still pretty nippy and the trim is pretty nice (if you like the tartan half leather seats)
1999 1.8t AGU, KNN Panel filter, Smoothed air box, Custom CAI, Forge 007 dv, REVO stage 1, 3" eBay TBE. Audi TT quickrack.

To come - A DIY hybrid K03 and a whole lot of supporting mods!

Offline Chambo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2013, 17:49 »
If I had that budget right now I'd deffo buy an Octavia VRS 2.0 diesel,I think it's 170bhp as standard so not slow,your budget would get you a decent one on a 57 plate ish(private),all the gadgets lovely looking and vag it's well worth a look anyway if you've not considered one.
Chambo 

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2013, 23:13 »
If I had that budget right now I'd deffo buy an Octavia VRS 2.0 diesel,I think it's 170bhp as standard so not slow,your budget would get you a decent one on a 57 plate ish(private),all the gadgets lovely looking and vag it's well worth a look anyway if you've not considered one.
Chambo 
would that not be the 2.0 diesel with the dodgy oil pump drive?

Offline Chambo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2013, 18:43 »

Really? Not heard about that problem take your word for it though.
Chambo

Offline JWebb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2013, 18:48 »
The 2.0 170 pushes my insurance up quite a bit so that might not be an option, I've found a nice 2.0 140bhp has anyone got any experience/knowledge of these?

Cheers,
Jack.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2013, 19:14 »
Listen for police siren noise when the turbo is on boost. The 140's are known for their chocolate turbos......

Offline JWebb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2013, 21:37 »
Listen for police siren noise when the turbo is on boost. The 140's are known for their chocolate turbos......

Cheers,

having never had anything with a turbo is there anything else I need to look out for/ when should the turbo come on boost will I be able to engage it by just revving rather than engaging gear and driving?!

Jack

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2013, 22:33 »
Need to drive it. Turbo will be spooling from 1300rpm so you'll notice it almost straight away.......peak torque is at 1800rpm so you should get a nice thump in the back if its working properly

Look for smoke out the exhaust too