Author Topic: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread  (Read 786488 times)

Offline BOFH

• Just got here
Pulsing LED DRL's when indicating
« Reply #690 on: 20 February 2015, 21:58 »
Gentlemen,

I've read this thread for months and I applied many codes to my MK7. Thanks for all the tips.

I thought i'd share a little code I made myself; I haven't seen it anywhere yet, although it's probably not that hard to come up with.

Pulsing LED DRL while indicating

09 - Central electrics

01. Security access-16 : enter code 31347 to unlock the controller

02. Adaptation-10

(16)-Leuchte2SL VLB10-Lichtfunktion G 2 = Blinken links Dunkelphase
(18)-Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimmwert GH 2 = 24
(19)-Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimming Direction GH 2 = minimize

(16)-Leuchte3SL VRB21-Lichtfunktion G 3 = Blinken rechts Dunkelphase
(18)-Leuchte3SL VRB21-Dimmwert GH 3 = 24
(19)-Leuchte3SL VRB21-Dimming Direction GH 3 = minimize

And the obligatory result video: http://youtu.be/WPPpnZpfk9A

I hope you guys like it!

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
Re: Pulsing LED DRL's when indicating
« Reply #691 on: 20 February 2015, 22:31 »
Gentlemen,

I've read this thread for months and I applied many codes to my MK7. Thanks for all the tips.

I thought i'd share a little code I made myself; I haven't seen it anywhere yet, although it's probably not that hard to come up with.

09 - Central electrics

02. Adaptation-10

I hope you guys like it!

Hmm not sure about that one, remind me of like an old car when you put the indicator on and the brake light dims alternatively lol but good find regardless!
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread
« Reply #692 on: 21 February 2015, 08:51 »
Gentlemen,

09 - Central electrics

02. Adaptation-10

I hope you guys like it!

Hmm not sure about that one, remind me of like an old car when you put the indicator on and the brake light dims alternatively lol but good find regardless!

A bad earth, will it fail an MOT though?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #693 on: 21 February 2015, 12:59 »
Hello all!

I have a GTI (French Spec). I have Lane Assist, Discover Media and the colour display on the instrument panel.

Can anyone tell me for certain if I can enable Traffic Sign Recognition using VCDS with this setup or is it essential to have Discover Media Pro for some reason? I have been trying to find a definitive answer by searching various forums but I have yet to read anything definite. I will buy the cable and software to do it but only if I know it will be possible.

I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Hurumpf: Hi. Yes, you can use the Discover media unit for this function. But, enabling Traffic Sign Recognition is both a hardware and software issue. At the hardware end, you first have to have a front camera. VW calls this camera R242.
 The R242 sits up against the windshield behind the rear view mirror where the Rain-Light-Humidity sensor is located. the same camera is used for
• Lane departure warning (Lane Assist)
• Dynamic Light Assist (DLA) 
• Main Beam Assist (FLA) 
• Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)

If you have a front camera (R242) as a factory fitted unit you should have an entry in your auto-scan report at address Hex A5 that should look something like this:

,Address A5: Frt Sens. Drv. Assist (R242) Labels: 5Q0-980-653.clb
 > Part No SW: 5Q0 980 653 E HW: 5Q0 980 653
 > Component: MQB_MFK H05 0051
 > Serial number: 00000151765
 > Coding: 0100000000020303000400000101010100
 >blah blah blah blah
 >blah blah blah blah

If you don't have this entry (and you have R242 installed), then you may need to activate the control module using a VCDS cable. This is done by selecting the 17-INSTRUMENT then, select Byte 05 and then place a tick in the box next to Bit 2 (see pic below)
« Last Edit: 24 February 2015, 12:28 by dv52 »
103TSI Highline ROW (my13)

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #695 on: 23 February 2015, 17:20 »

Hurumpf: Hi. Yes, you can use the Discover media unit for this function. But, enabling Traffic Sign Recognition is both a hardware and software issue. At the hardware end, you first have to have a front camera. VW calls this camera R242.
 The R242 sits up against the windshield behind the rear view mirror where the Rain-Light-Humidity sensor is located. the same camera is used for
• Lane departure warning (Lane Assist)
• Dynamic Light Assist (DLA) 
• Main Beam Assist (FLA) 
• Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)

The A5 camera does not provide the adaptive cruise control. There is a separate radar in the front grill for this.

I have the A5 camera and Discover Pro. I activated traffic sign recognition by following the guide linked by DougL.

EDIT: To add to this, you can enable TSR with just the discover media and A5 camera but the discover media does not have a speed limit database built into it. This can cause issues if the camera miss-reads a sign.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2015, 17:24 by kevinm »
Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #696 on: 23 February 2015, 18:55 »
DV52 - my understanding has always been that you need to have Lane Assist installed to activate sign recognition.... I have High Beam Assist (which has a camera) but  there is no address for a camera controller that i can find in my car :-(

Offline BOFH

• Just got here
« Reply #697 on: 23 February 2015, 19:51 »
Enabling traffic signs (on a Skoda Octavia)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/299424-octavia-iii-vcds-adaptations-tried-and-tested/?p=3568230

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/299493-how-to-enable-traffic-sign-recognition/

Wow, I knew they were based on a similar system, but I didn't know the codes are actually 100% compatible! Mind blown!

I just enabled Traffic Signs Recognition on my MK7 with Lane Assist, HBA and the Discovery Media!

So happy!!!! I wanted it but the dealer wanted me to buy the Discovery Pro  :rolleyes:

Thanks! :laugh:

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #698 on: 24 February 2015, 05:51 »
The A5 camera does not provide the adaptive cruise control. There is a separate radar in the front grill for this.

Kevin: Thanks for the feedback.  Please note VW's advice below (last point) from their Self Study Program #516 on the Golf mk7.

The Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) that the mk7 uses is a bit more sophisticated! What happens with ACC is that the complete object detection function in the front of the vehicle (being image processing and object identification - which is done via a simple look-up table) is managed internally by the front camera (R242). Once a legitimate object is detected (by R242), its position data is then relayed to the ACC control module (J428). This control module which is located on the front grill, encapsulates the radar that you mentioned in your post.

The ACC module mergers the R242 information with the radar data before making changes to the car's behaviour. There's  kind-of a symbiotic relationship between the camera and the radar; each providing a different piece of the jig-saw puzzle for the decisions made by J428. To validate my assertion regarding the role that R242 has in the ACC function (which I acknowledge comes from VW's material), please note the designation of PINS 5 & 6 on the connector for the J428 module below and the wiring diagram which shows the links between J428 & R242.

But I agree that it's a reasonable and an intuitive assumption to believe that ACC just uses the front radar!

EDIT: I JUST RECEIVED A PM FROM A COLLEAGUE ON ANOTHER FORUM (THANKS FOR THIS). APPARENTLY IN THE UK, THE MK7 SPEC ALLOWS THE ACC TO OPERATE WITHOUT THE FRONT CAMERA INSTALLED. I WASN'T AWARE OF THIS AND THERE IS NO MENTION OF THIS IN THE VW MATERIAL THAT I HAVE. I APPOLOGISE FOR THE MIS-INFORMATION AS IT RELATES TO THE UK
« Last Edit: 25 February 2015, 23:17 by dv52 »

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #699 on: 24 February 2015, 06:26 »
DV52 - my understanding has always been that you need to have Lane Assist installed to activate sign recognition.... I have High Beam Assist (which has a camera) but  there is no address for a camera controller that i can find in my car :-(

Mark: Hi and thanks for the reply. If you don't have address A5 in your auto scan, then I don't believe that you can have TSR - alas!