Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2773694 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10020 on: 13 February 2020, 22:26 »
Very nice Watts, but you do realise any non-TR Golf is automatically slower than any other colour variant!?

How are you getting on with the DSG? I've had mine 2 years today and I'm still not sure about it. Great for lazy driving as are all the electric aids like lane assist, ACC etc but I like to feel involved, I just think maybe modern day cars aren't for me.

If I were to get a decent price for mine I'd sell up and get something older I reckon, just don't know what - any suggestions?

205 GTI. No brainer.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #10021 on: 13 February 2020, 22:32 »

I'd love an older car, if I had a garage, and deep pockets. Prices are really on the up! But because of my many UK holidays and trips to visit family, I need something I can depend on so a daily classic is out. If I had the option though, the choice is endless! A 2 door Volvo Amazon would be a good reliable bet, I rather like the old MB SLC (with a V8 naturally!) and a Triumph Stag. BMW 2002? Running costs should be offset by reduced depreciation, perhaps changing once a year might even yield a profit!

The right modern classic can run enjoyed for very little money when you offset running costs against possible appreciation. I have a Mk2 16V GTI, but don't use it anywhere near enough. That will never be sold, but I do fancy buying a stupid V8 just to be able to say I've had one, whilst we are still allowed to.

I wouldn't have either as a daily car tho'. Old car all go wrong at some point, and can't always be repaired quickly due to rarity of parts, so a newish vehicle of some sort needs to be in the fleet.

Watts, you’d like the Brussels motor museum, they’re running a British car theme currently. This caught my eye when we visited over Christmas-

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #10022 on: 13 February 2020, 22:50 »

I'd love an older car, if I had a garage, and deep pockets. Prices are really on the up! But because of my many UK holidays and trips to visit family, I need something I can depend on so a daily classic is out. If I had the option though, the choice is endless! A 2 door Volvo Amazon would be a good reliable bet, I rather like the old MB SLC (with a V8 naturally!) and a Triumph Stag. BMW 2002? Running costs should be offset by reduced depreciation, perhaps changing once a year might even yield a profit!

The right modern classic can run enjoyed for very little money when you offset running costs against possible appreciation. I have a Mk2 16V GTI, but don't use it anywhere near enough. That will never be sold, but I do fancy buying a stupid V8 just to be able to say I've had one, whilst we are still allowed to.

I wouldn't have either as a daily car tho'. Old car all go wrong at some point, and can't always be repaired quickly due to rarity of parts, so a newish vehicle of some sort needs to be in the fleet.

The other point is there are no expensive bits in older cars. Everything is simple and cheap. You don't lay awake worrying about your touchscreen or DSG box giving up the ghost out of warranty.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10023 on: 14 February 2020, 09:31 »

The other point is there are no expensive bits in older cars. Everything is simple and cheap. You don't lay awake worrying about your touchscreen or DSG box giving up the ghost out of warranty.

Very true and gearboxes don't 'fail' because the electronics have gone wrong... Mind you when I had an Alfa I used to regularly have nightmares about finding it in the morning having dissolved into a pile of rust over night. No idea why :rolleyes:

Brussels motor museum looks good :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #10024 on: 14 February 2020, 11:39 »
Picked it up! A bit sad leaving my old car but I'm tough and will push through the pain...

Just the one for now, need to put all my crap inside and go and fuel the new toy :smiley:

Looking good Watts, hope you are happy with your new purchase.

White got slated on here at first, with comments comparing it to the CS but having seen a white one on several occasions at my local dealer, I think it suits the car really well. There's not really a bad colour choice to be honest for the TCR, other than maybe black.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #10025 on: 14 February 2020, 12:38 »

White got slated on here at first, with comments comparing it to the CS but having seen a white one on several occasions at my local dealer, I think it suits the car really well. There's not really a bad colour choice to be honest for the TCR, other than maybe black.

This is my first white car and have to say it suits the shape of the Golf perfectly. My only downside is the crap weather and how quickly it just looks dirty again after washing it only 5 minutes earlier lol.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #10026 on: 14 February 2020, 18:01 »

This is my first white car and have to say it suits the shape of the Golf perfectly. My only downside is the crap weather and how quickly it just looks dirty again after washing it only 5 minutes earlier lol.

Agreed, do like a white GTI MK7  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10027 on: 15 February 2020, 00:14 »

Cheers Jim :smiley: Yes, very pleased. Nice run up to Norfolk today, felt like I was getting to know the car a bit better. Very comfortable albeit making me feel a bit lazy, but you can feel the extra go. It sounds good too, I've got the engine sound set to Eco which I guess is the quietest? Economy not bad either, averaged 41mpg over around 150 miles, would've expected about 44/45 from the PP. It's definitely an excellent long distance tourer and I suspect rather good at the twisty stuff too :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10028 on: 15 February 2020, 21:21 »
I used mine to take my son to collect his new car - he's been driving for four years, and has some NCB behind him, and has a job which he enjoys in IT.

He's been searching for a while, and was originally looking for a Suzuki Swift Sport, but went off on a slight tangent and discovered that a Polo GTI would provide him with more power.  Which, when you're 23, is important.  Insurance wasn't unreasonable, if you consider £82 per month "not unreasonable".  He managed to find a very nice 2016 three-door in Pure White, the same as my Golf, the traditional tartan GTI upholstery, 26,000 miles, and black alloys, which, apparently, are very cool on a white car.

It has a selection of tyres, Bridgestones on the rear, which are probably original, one of the fronts is the produce of a manufacturer I've heard of, but wouldn't personally buy, the other front is from a manufacturer that I haven't heard of.  All four will be binned and replaced by Michelin PS4's at the earliest opportunity.

It's hardly ideal weather to enjoy the "new car experience", but right now he's a very happy boy.  And that's the only thing that matters.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #10029 on: 16 February 2020, 00:34 »
I used mine to take my son to collect his new car - he's been driving for four years, and has some NCB behind him, and has a job which he enjoys in IT.

He's been searching for a while, and was originally looking for a Suzuki Swift Sport, but went off on a slight tangent and discovered that a Polo GTI would provide him with more power.  Which, when you're 23, is important.  Insurance wasn't unreasonable, if you consider £82 per month "not unreasonable".  He managed to find a very nice 2016 three-door in Pure White, the same as my Golf, the traditional tartan GTI upholstery, 26,000 miles, and black alloys, which, apparently, are very cool on a white car.

It has a selection of tyres, Bridgestones on the rear, which are probably original, one of the fronts is the produce of a manufacturer I've heard of, but wouldn't personally buy, the other front is from a manufacturer that I haven't heard of.  All four will be binned and replaced by Michelin PS4's at the earliest opportunity.

It's hardly ideal weather to enjoy the "new car experience", but right now he's a very happy boy.  And that's the only thing that matters.

What a great car for a 23 year old. If I remember right I payed £600 to insure a 205 gti in 1996 ( i was 23 then). I can remember spending hours shopping for insurance. £82 per month sounds pretty good to me.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2020, 00:38 by Yusee »