Author Topic: Upgrading the standard audio system  (Read 19263 times)

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
Upgrading the standard audio system
« on: 07 August 2013, 09:52 »
I just thought that I would post this in a separate thread as it might get a bit lost. Here are instructions on how to install the Helix amplifier and subwoofer, that are available from VW as an accessory. There are lots of good pictures, although the text is in German.

http://www.mhvimmobilien.de/vw/Einbauanleitung%20HELIX%20Plug%20and%20Play%20Soundsystem%20Golf%20VII.pdf

Also useful stuff in this thread

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/plug-play-soundsystem-fuer-reserveradmulde-t4172371.html

again, you will need to use a translation engine.
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
Re: Upgrading the standard audio system
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2013, 21:53 »
Well I spent a couple of hours this morning putting one of these under the passenger seat... not a bad upgrade for £150

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/car-audio.aspx/xlf200a-speaker

The speaker only needs four wires connected. First to an always on +ve feed which I found in the glovebox. Basically you can see a terminal sticking out on the top left of the fusebox to which you can attach a spade connector. This is a LHD fusebox but the RHD is exactly the same... It's immediately to the left and the bottom of the 10A red fuse on the top left of this picture (ignore the circled fuse).

Secondly you need to remove the CD/SD card unit. This is fairly easy. I used a couple of jig saw blades...

Once you've done that you need to find the brown connector on the back and splice one of the two pairs of the sub's speaker wires into two of the wires from the VW unit. You can use any pair and I used the top two, basically the black wire with white stripe and the blue wire with white stripe. It doesn't matter which way round you connect as you can adjust the phase on the sub once you're all connected. If you want to be ultra correct, connect the striped wire from the sub to the black wire with white stripe. (No 3) The blue wire is immediately to the right of this wire, connect the solid coloured speaker input wire from the sub to this. The sub comes with a pair of high level input speaker wires but it is really only necessary to connect one of the pair. If you really want to connect both of them then use the wires at the opposite end of the VW connector. For info the middle two pairs of wire on this connector are front speakers and the outer pairs of wires are rear speakers.

The last connection is the sub is easy. It's the -ve (ground) connection. Find a suitable earthing point (any screw or bolt attached to the chassis. I basically ran all of these cable out from beneath the glovebox/fusebox under the edge of the centre console to end under the passenger seat. If you look at the panel on the central console, you will see one torx screw to the right of the passenger's feet. If you remove this, this panel pulls down which makes access easier. You'll also find many points to attach the ground wire to, behind that panel.

The sub turns itself on automatically once it "hears" sound...

The results are amazing... who needs the accessory Helix system or Dynaudio?  :whistle: If you need to carry a passenger, the sub can be lifted and tucked back or removed altogether as the supply simply unclips. That's the only downside - it removes a bit of footroom from the rear footwell. Just leave enough free lead so that you can move the sub around as necessary. This pic is my sub which is the previous incarnation of the link above. If I'm carrying a passenger, I simply lift the sub to a vertical position and put it leaning under the seat squab behind the rear seat passenger's knees.

Hope this gives some of you some ideas...

« Last Edit: 20 October 2013, 22:04 by DougL »

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2013, 10:25 »
Looks like a very easy installation, certainly cheaper than the £500 Dynaudio upgrade.

I wonder if I can run both :)

Offline Hobojim

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2013, 16:01 »
Pretty sure i'm going to get one of those! Is there anywhere else that you could place it? Just considering the options.

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2013, 16:31 »
Pretty sure i'm going to get one of those! Is there anywhere else that you could place it? Just considering the options.
Boot perhaps?
Actually, VW might already have pre-wiring for their retro-fit sound sub already in place in the boot well.
Surely you could extend the wiring for this sub?  :huh:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2013, 16:43 »
Would it not fit better under the front of the passenger seat? Where the bluetooth module was in the Mk6?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2013, 17:06 »

Actually, VW might already have pre-wiring for their retro-fit sound sub already in place in the boot well.

No they don't. The link in my first post on this thread shows the VW wiring for their retrofit Helix soundsystem. Quite a lot more work involved. What is great about this sub is that it turns itself on and off when it senses music, so it only needs four wires connecting. Where you choose to splice in to the speaker wires is your choice, but this is by far the easiest place to get to.

Would it not fit better under the front of the passenger seat? Where the bluetooth module was in the Mk6?

No room. There's a storage drawer down there. In the boot is the other viable option.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2013, 17:20 »

No room. There's a storage drawer down there. In the boot is the other viable option.

Are you ever likely to put anything in that drawer?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2013, 18:58 »
There's stuff in there already...   :grin:

Offline rafagobor

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2013, 18:00 »
Well I spent a couple of hours this morning putting one of these under the passenger seat... not a bad upgrade for £150

Do you think that a subwoofer a bit larger would fit underseat?

I'm looking on this Soundstream ( http://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-USB-8A-Powered-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B0085CAYZ6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_5 ) and by the dimensions on the site, this soundstream is 2cm larger...